023.

MARCH 5TH, 1986
📍cunningham house
7:52 AM

"was there someone in your room last night?" chrissy asked, as the two girls got ready for school in matilda's room.

"what?" tillie replied, feigning confusion. "as if. you know i have no friends right, chrissy? who would be in my room?"

"i don't know," chrissy shrugged, tapping some eyeshadow onto her eyelids delicately. "i thought i heard you talking to someone. it sounded like a guy."

"a guy?" matilda exclaimed, turning to face her twin. "a guy, in my room? chrissy, are you okay? i think you're hearing things."

"guess i must be," chrissy responded, secretly hiding the fact that she was completely aware of who was in her sister's room last night.

📻🪐🏹

MARCH 5TH, 1986
📍hawkins high school
12:41 PM

matilda sat under the bleachers, waiting for eddie to arrive. she gently sipped on a bottle of water as she doodled in the back of one of her books.

she heard people above her, and realized quickly it was several members of the basketball team sitting down to eat their lunch.

"so, i hooked up with cindy last night," myles told his friends.

"cindy?" one of the other boys, greg, asked. "cindy horne?"

"that's the one," myles confirmed.

the other boys seemed to cheer him on, patting his back in congratulation. "atta boy," greg whistled.

tillie listened in, grimacing at how the boys were talking about the girl. cindy was known as being a 'slut', which, in hawkins high, meant she'd slept with more than one guy.

"was she good?" another boy asked.

"decent," myles nodded. "not as good as a certain someone though."

matilda felt her stomach drop, feeling as though the conversation was heading in her direction.

"you can say her name, mate," greg chuckled.

"matilda cunningham," myles sighed happily. "what a great fuck. best i've had."

tillie looked down towards the ground, unsure of whether to move or stay and wait for eddie to arrive. luckily, she heard him heading towards her, and glanced up to see him heading towards her, a skip in his step.

"hey—"

she quickly shushed the boy, pulling him down beside her. she signaled up to the conversation above them.

"she felt fucking amazing, man," myles told his friends with a light groan. "so good."

"calm it, myles," another boy, thomas said. "you're gonna get a boner thinking about it."

eddie furrowed his brows, whispering, "are they talking about you?"

tillie didn't reply, but her saddened expression and visibly paled face was enough to confirm his thoughts.