Chapter 15.

Niall

I sit with a pair of glasses perched on my nose, one leg crossed over the other as I read a book. Well, it's not actually a book. I've borrowed a few comics from Zayn that he asked me to check out and now I'm sitting at Costa, alone. I haven't seen Ben yet, which is a plus. My phone is sitting on silent, my arms folded by my lap as I read the cartoon drawings and captions. The place is full of chatter around me but in a way, it's nice to get some peace and quiet. I've been back from Ireland for two days now and I've avoided Harry since that night — or he's been avoiding me, whichever.  

I look up and my eyes fall over a doe-eyed couple two seats away from me. The girl had just taken a sip of a cappuccino and when she removes the drink from her lips, she has a foam mustache. I smile a little and watch as the guy laughs teasingly, reaching over to the wipe foam off of her face. My smile disappears and I sigh deeply, going back to Zayn's book. 

But I find my eyes drifting to the couple again, watching them laugh and giggle at each other. Why can't I have that? With Harry? Someone who I can laugh and have fun with? Why does Harry have to be so damn reserved? I think about something that Louis once said. That there was a time when Harry was actually fun. Because I know the Harry he is now, I can't seem to imagine it. Did he laugh and giggle with Louis? Did he take him on dates, to Costa cafés where he can wipe the foam off of Louis' lips?  

Despite the fact that I've long given up hope with Harry, I still worry about him. I worry about what kind of deal he made with Cassandra. I just don't get it. I was this close to finally having what I wanted, I was this close to Harry actually caring about me and just like that, after a visit to Cassandra, he's gone. It's almost like Cassandra's controlling him, like a remote-control. It's as if she can chose when to switch Harry on and off.  

Sighing heavily, I fold the comic books up and head out to my car, away from the loved-up couple. I drive to Louis' flat and when I get there, I hear music blaring. Which can only mean one thing. Harry's not here. Instead of knocking, I push open the door and inside. The place is exactly where I left it from last time, except there's no trace or sign of Harry. I go to where the loud, blaring music is coming from and find Louis in his bedroom, working on a laptop. I attempt to knock on the door but as predicted, he doesn't hear me.  

I walk toward him and shake his shoulders. He jumps a little and turns round, closing all the tabs on his laptop as he does so. Next to his laptop, are two adjoining computers on sleep mode. The pen drive is clicked into the laptop and next to the laptop on the other side of the desk, are a bunch of files and paperwork.  

Louis turns the volume of the music right down and says to me, "Bloody hell, are you trying to give me a heart attack?!" 

"I did knock." I answer sheepishly and his shoulders unclench, his expression softening. 

"What are you working on?" I ask curiously, gesturing to the pen drive. 

"Not much, just a few updates on the pen drive." Louis shrugs. 

"Right, so top secret government work then?" I tease and he laughs a little. 

"Suppose so." He sighs, closing his laptop down. 

"What can I do for you?" He asks, folding his arms across his chest. 

"It's about Harry. I'm worried about him." I admit and Louis sighs. He stands up from his chair, reaches for a hoodie and slips it over his head before brushing past me and heading out into the kitchen. Before I turn to follow him, I notice a picture frame on the bedside table, of Louis and Harry. I exhale and follow Louis out of the room. 

"Please, Louis. I really am worried about him." I repeat. 

"Aren't we all." He mumbles back and I frown, glancing around the small place.