Chapter 20.

Niall

I wake up with Harry sleeping next to me and quite frankly, it's a joyous moment to witness. My heart can't help but flutter at the sight of him. His pale skin is illuminating against the warm morning sun, his long lashes resting on his cheeks. His lips are pressed together, his head tilted to face me and his chest is rising and falling peacefully with every steady breath he takes. A hand lies lazily on his chest and a strand of dark brown hair lays messily across his face. I giggle a little and sweep the long strand of hair off of his face, causing him to stir. He mumbles incoherently and rolls over so that his back is facing me.

I exhale softly and get up off the bed, careful not to make too much movement. When I pad into the kitchen, Zayn is making tea by the kitchen counter. Liam has already left for his shift at the garage for the morning. "Hey, Z." I greet and he smiles in acknowledgement before pressing his tea to his lips.

"How long is he staying for?" Zayn questions.

"As long as he likes," I shrug and start to clear the dishes away.

"Really? After everything he's done to you?" Zayn scoffs and I huff, turning round to face him.

"I don't care about that, Zayn. It's in the past, it's time to move on. Besides, he's got a lot going on right now, he just needs a shoulder to cry on, that's all." I explain.

"I don't think he'll be the one doing the crying."

I freeze. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"I'm just saying, I don't want to see you getting hurt." He reasons.

"Yeah, well, I'm not gonna." I reply and he purses his lips at me but doesn't bother to pester me anymore.

I hear the floorboards creak behind me and when I turn round, Harry's standing in the doorway. He looks troubled, his eyebrows furrowed together.

"If this is a bother, I don't mind chipping in with rent." He offers with a light shrug. Zayn's about to open his mouth but I object.

"No! It's okay, you don't have to pay anything. You are the guest, after all." I assure him. He smiles at me and heads back into my room to shower.

The next time I talk to Harry is when I'm at work. I can feel my phone vibrating in my pocket so I go to answer it. I can't help but grin as I see Harry's name flashing on the screen before I press my phone to my ear.

"Y'know, you really shouldn't phone me when I'm at work. I can get into a lot trouble." I warn him and I can hear him smirking.

"Well, then, you really shouldn't be answering it." He replies smartly and I laugh.

"Touché. Suppose I just like to hear your voice." I admit and he hums in approval.

"So, uh...I was thinking about the what we talked about last night. If we're gonna do this whole boyfriend thing, I could at least take you out in a date. Correct?" He asks innocently.

"Hmm, Harry Styles asking me out on a date. I'd never thought I'd see the day." I tease and he laughs.

"Seriously. What do you like to do on dates? I'll go wherever you go." He says quietly and I smile.

"Harry, you don't have to do anything. I know this is hard enough on you as it is-"

"But I want to do it, Niall. Please. At least give me a chance to be a decent boyfriend." He pleads. The fact that he's started to call me by my first name will always take me by surprise. I'll never get used to it. I can't help the grin that's spreading on my face, itching from ear to ear.