Chapter 47.

Niall

I wake up to the sound of the door opening and when my eyes begin to focus, I see my mother stepping into the room. I know it's only morning but I'm still extremely tired, incredibly so. All the fighting and arguing with Harry yesterday had exhausted me. In all honesty, I'm scared. In fact, I'm terrified. What if this was the end of Harry and I? After everything we've been through?

"If you're hear to give me a lecture, save it. I already got an earful off from Harry yesterday." I tell her, rolling my eyes.

"He's finally doing something right then, knocking some sense into you." Mum sighs and I scowl at her. "He told me everything that happened." she adds and my heart is hammering against my chest. "Why on Earth would you put yourself in danger for Harry's attention?" She asks curiously.

"It's complicated." I mumble and she clicks her tongue at me.

"This has to stop, Niall. All this scoring points tactic isn't going to work-"

"Scoring points?" I repeat, frowning.

"Well, it's pretty black and white to me. You going into danger, Harry almost getting you killed. You kissing Bresi after Harry cheats you..." She trails off and at the mention of Bresi, I grimace.

"It's not healthy, for either of you. How is this relationship going to work if you're not honest with either other?" She presses and I raise my eyebrows. 

"Really? Honesty? You think you're the one to talk about honesty?" I snap and she frowns.

"My relationship with your father as nothing to do with your relationship with Harry." She says defensively and I roll my eyes. 

"What do you think I should do?" I ask quietly, changing the subject. She hesitates for a moment before answering.

"You're not going to like this," she starts and I shrug my shoulders before she continues, "But I think you should move on from Harry." She finishes softly and my eyes widen in shock. Really? She thinks that, after all we've been through? Saying that though, my mother has never liked Harry from the start. Maybe this is her way of getting rid of him, for good. "I'm not saying this in spite of my dislike for him." She adds, as if reading my mind. 

"I'm doing this because I think it's what's best for you." She defends and I sigh heavily. "Besides...While you were going out with Harry...has he ever treated you right, in any way at all?" She asks. I think for a bit. I think about the time we went to L.A. and I had made him dinner but he completely ignored me. I think about the time he took advantage of me when I was still a virgin. I think about the time he used me when he was drunk after Nadine died. I knew the answer.

"No." I shake my head, feeling ashamed of myself. 

"I think that's your answer." She replies softly, placing a comforting hand on my thigh. Just because Harry has never treated me right, that doesn't mean there's no hope for us, does it? Even though Harry hasn't been the most loyal of boyfriends, he has changed...drastically over the three years that I've known him. When I first met him, he was the most arrogant, self-centred and cocky man I had ever met in my life but now...he was different. Different in a way that I couldn't explain to anyone that wouldn't understand. I can feel tears rolling down my cheeks for the second time this week so I quickly wipe them away with the back of my hand before my mother could see. The awkward silence is broken when her phone rings in her hand bag. 

"I better go..I'll speak to you later, yeah?" Mum asks and I nod warily. "Love you." She whispers before pecking me on the cheek. I smile weakly at her as she closes the door behind her.