Chapter 10

I wiped off the dust from an old chair and sat there. I offered Aspen the other one that I found but he just refused and stayed on his spot. We didn't speak besides that and just watched over the man who is still wide awake and continuously trying to wiggle his way out of the chains. I don't know why he is using his torso instead of his hands and trying to pick the lock. It's as if his basic critical thinking is lost.

"Do you think something happened in a nearby mental health facility?" I asked him a few minutes later.

"I don't think they are sick in that way." he replied.

"What do you mean?" I look up to meet his eyes but his gaze is still focused on the man in front of us.

Aspen didn't reply immediately but just turn around to face me. There is something about the intensity of his stare that somehow bothered me.

We just stayed that way for a few seconds before I heard him sigh and turning his attention to the man in front of us, "Remember when I told you I work for a pharmaceutical company?"

"Yeah." I don't know he is telling me this right now but I should be thankful that at least he is being open to me now.

"We were working on this project about fungus. We didn't intend to create a drug out of it but there are clinical studies that suggest that it has a huge scientific potential for changes in behavior that can help patients with mental health problems. So, we started to study more about this certain species Ophiocordyceps. I don't know the full details because I'm on the business part rather than the science part but I remember seeing the same symptoms with one of our test subjects."

I want to tease him and say that "you're one of those businessmen that sells their 'medicine' that hides away its possible side effects" but I just shut my mouth knowing that this is a serious situation. Aspen doesn't talk much but now he is and I don't want to ruin that. If he knows something I need him to spill everything so that he'd be able to at least help us in our situation right now.

"It shouldn't have gone to human trials yet because of the data showing that it is dangerous for primates." he continued, "I don't even know if this is just a coincidence but those eyes. I saw those eyes before in a chimpanzee."

Animal testing. As someone who loves animals I want to call him out for this but now isn't the time. We have other matters we need to discuss.

"Have you contacted your company yet?"

He shook his head, "I tried but I couldn't get a hold of them. Not even my parents who own it."

"So, this guy. This might be one of the test subjects?"

"I don't think so. The way he is dressed is like he is wearing hunting gear. He couldn't be a test subject if that is the case. He should've worn a white uniform."

"Do you think he is infected by it?"

Aspen squinted his eyes for a while before shock took over him. His skin became pale as he immediately ripped a part of his shirt before striding towards me. He held the cloth to my mouth as I pulled back.

"What?"

"Wear this. We have to take precautions."

"We should've been infected by now Aspen if that is the case."

"We don't know for sure Myla. Just wear it."

I gulped when I saw that he was getting pissed before nodding that the cloth covering my mouth as I inhaled his scent. My cheeks turned hot but I pretended to not be affected as he ripped another piece of his shirt and used it to cover his mouth. If I wasn't covering my mouth with his shirt I would've salivated seeing his v-line and the lower part of his abs. I immediately looked away, stopping myself from acting like a perv and focused my attention on the tied man who is still baring his teeth at us.