Chapter 21

I can hear my heart beat loud in my ears almost making me deaf. I ran and ran and ran. Sweat dripped on the side of my face. I turned around seeing a black silhouette behind me as another round of loud bangs was heard in the corridor.

Gunshots.

Red liquid poured covering the once white marble flooring like a red river flooding the whole building.

Blood.

I ran and ran as the noises of shouting, crying continued to bug my eardrums. The once corridor full of laughter, cheers of students buzzing around was now replaced with howls of pain and sinister laughter. And then... there was dead silence, almost more deafening than the noises I am hearing.

I dropped to the ground, my sweat now mixing to the red colored floor. I tried to get up but I heard footsteps approaching. I closed my eyes and waited for my death now accepting that I couldn't do anything. My heart is beating and my breathing is deep. I prayed at that moment that they wouldn't notice me and shoot me. That they'd just walk past me.

But I was wrong.

I felt someone kick me, making me groan. My eyelids shot open and then I locked eyes with icy blue ones making me shiver with horror. It's so light that it was almost white. But what did stand out is the red veins surrounding it. His face was ordinary until it morphed into a much frightening one. His teeth turned yellow and his body turned pale complexion black veins now visible and his hair now slowly falling down as the scent of rotting flex invaded my nostrils. The person launched at me and I jolted awake screaming.

I held my hand to my chest trying to even my breathing. Sweat poured at the side of my face and my hair disheveled. I combed it with my fingertips removing it from covering my face as I looked at my reflection in the full body mirror in the corner. My eyes are bloodshot red from crying and there are stains on my shirt because of all the sweating.

I calmed myself down before making my way to the bathroom trying to fix myself and prepare for the day. I was washing my face when I heard continuous knocking on my door making me yelp. But when I recognized the voice calling my name I calmed down taking a towel with me and dabbed it on my face walking to the door. Opening it I saw Aspen's knitted brows looking at me before moving his gaze to the room as if looking for something.

"Are you okay? I heard screaming."

I just shook my head, biting my lips, "Just saw a spider."

I don't want him knowing about my dream. He might stop me from going with him on our mission later if I tell him that I am having nightmares about the sick people. And there is no way that I am going to let him go there alone.

He nodded, "Okay. I'll meet you downstairs for breakfast then once you have prepared we're leaving immediately. We don't want to be stuck out there in the dark."

"Okay."

Aspen was about to leave but he stopped facing me again, "About the target shooting..."

"I'll be fine. You did say that only shoot when needed, right? I can bring the gun with me and use it when necessary. I've already learned about self-defense anyway so I should be fine."

After taking a break yesterday and talking to Jaden I feel a bit at ease. Yes, I was still uncomfortable with the idea of holding the gun but I did understand how important it is for my own safety in times like this. So, after the failed attempt of practice shooting Logan taught me self-defense instead. He said that he will also be teaching the rest of the group and everyone is required to train.

"Okay."

It was eerily quiet in the dinning when we had breakfast. I can see them glancing at me every once and a while but they were quick to move their gaze away. It made me worry at the same time wondering why they were acting like that. But then I remembered they know what we are going to do later. We'll be leaving and there is a possibility that we won't be able to come back.

I heard Logan coughing who was seated in the chair in the far end. We all looked at him fully knowing that it was all a fake and he just did it to get our attention. He stood from his seat and the only screeching sound of the wooden chair to the floorboard is the only thing you can hear.

"As you all know Aspen and Myla will be leaving today to go find a possible cure for Theo." Logan looked at the group as if he was waiting for us to say something but when he didn't get any he just nodded and continued, "I want to make a toast for them." the rest of the group lifted their beverages, "For their bravery and courage may they be able to safely return to us unharmed and complete their mission. Cheers."

"Cheers." the rest of the group answered as we clanked our mugs filled with coffee and glass with orange juice.

We continued eating. This time it felt a bit lighter than it was earlier. Once we were finished Nikita and Natasha took care of the dishes as the rest started to do their assigned chores. Elora is with me as she was excused for her tasks in the meantime to hang out with me because I am already leaving. Aspen was also hanging out with Logan outside supervising the creation of the fences.

"Do you really have to go?" Elora asked me.

Aspen told me that I should bring extra clothing just in case some of the blood of the infected may stain ours and may infect us. We are traveling light so I only have one backpack to put all of my extra clothes, my weapon, a first aid kit, and other items. Elora was helping me pack well more like shoving everything she can see which I repeatedly removed and returned back to where it originally was. She kept on saying that I might need it for this or that but I knew better. She is just being paranoid.

"It's for Theo." I replied, zipping my bag before she could put another random thing in there.

"No offense. I love Theo. He and Logan are good team mates but I think it's better if we wait for the authorities to do something about this disease instead of putting things in our own hands."

"But the rest of the group is scared. Theo is dangerous and if it's up to them they would rather kill him just like the others and my conscience can't take that."

"I know. I-I j-just worry about you." Elora said, taking my hand and lightly squeezing it, "Logan told me what Aspen and the others saw that day. All those people are no longer sane. They are like mindless creatures, Myla. They won't show you mercy."

"They're just sick people, Elora. If we don't do something, who will? Who will try to save them? If everyone just decides to kill them then what's left of our humanity? We'll be just like them."

"I understand Myla but please... don't try too hard to be a hero. You're the only one that I have left of my family. I don't know if they are still alive and I'm just..."

I nodded, "I'll run the other way when I need to Elora. That's a promise."

"Thank you."

Elora and I just hugged each other and shared comforting words. We even cried a little but after that we finally made our way outside where I saw Aspen was already putting some baggage inside the car that we will be using. Logan was beside him also taking his time to bid his farewell to his best bud.

"You two we'll be fine out there?" Logan asked as I nodded.

"Yeah. We'll manage."

"Be safe."

"We will."

"And remember what I taught you."

"I can still use a few more lessons but sure. I think I can kick ass out there."

He and Elora, who was now beside him resting his arm to her shoulder, giggled just as the rest of the group huddled around the car and bid their farewells at us.

I rounded the car waving at them as I slid inside. Aspen has his side of the car window down as we say our goodbyes to our friends. Moments later Aspen finally rolled up the window and faced me.

"Last chance to walk out."

Although his gaze always makes me feel uncomfortable because he has this perpetually bored expression that you can't guess what he is thinking every time this time it's different. I can see the facade slowly breaking. He is worried and I'm not sure but maybe he is a little scared? I can see it in his eyes. Some sort of emotion.

"I'll be fine." I replied, lightly smiling as he nodded, drumming his fingers in the wheel as he moved his gaze in the front of the car. His fingers drumming at the stirring wheel a dead giveaway to what he might be feeling.

He just nodded saying, "Let's go."