Chapter 16

Aspen's POV

I rolled the windows down just a few inches just enough that I'd be able to talk to the man. I can sense everyone in the car is hesitant with what I was to do but we need answers with what is going on around us right now and this guy is the only one who can give it to us.

"Thank god you finally answered." the man said, "I need to hitch a ride. Will you help the old man?"

"We need to know first what you meant by turning into one of them. Where is everybody?"

"You don't know?" he said with a furrowed brow, "Where were you all this time? Everything is in chaos in this city. I wouldn't be surprised if this has already spread to the entire country."

"This? What this?"

"Look I'll explain everything but you got to let me in. They're just around, they might attack me."

"Who will attack you?"

"Them! The changers. The sickos. The cannibals!"

"What?" Vince answered behind me and that was only then that the man's eye landed on the rest of us inside. He looked to Vince before moving his gaze to Natasha on the back and his eyes immediately widened when it landed on Theo.

"You have one of them inside!"

"What?" I replied confused, "What one of them?"

"Get rid of him! Get rid of him before he attacks you!"

"What are you talking about? He is our friend, he isn't one of them, whatever you are talking about." Natasha said.

"He still isn't but he will be! Toss him out now and give me a ride!"

"No." Vince said with vindication, "He is our friend and he stays. If you want to hitch a ride then you have to comply or better yet just leave us alone. We'll go find someone else to talk to who isn't insane."

"I'm insane? You're insane! Wait 'till that thing attacks you and we both will know which one of us is insane."

"Fine then we'll just leave you here." I said pressing the button about to close the window when he stuck his hand inside.

"Wait! Okay, I'll join you. I'm sorry."

Vince and I eyed each other before returning our attention back to the man. He is old and as much as I was annoyed with him and the way he insulted our friend I can't help but feel a bit of compassion for him. He must be just the same age as my father.

"How long has he been bitten?"

"What?" I asked as everyone in the car became alerted to his question. How did he know that Theo was bitten? We never told him that. He couldn't just see it from where he is standing because Theo is covered with a blanket.

"Bitten by one of them!"

"Around dawn, 2AM."

"Good we still have time before he changes."

"He changes?"

"If he is just bitten he still has 12 hours."

"What are you talking about?" Vince said his voice laced with anger, "What do you mean my best friend only has 12 hours left."

"When a person is bitten he changes after 24 hours. By then he becomes a flesh-eating sicko!"

We all looked at each other in the car not believing what the guy was saying.

"You're just spouting nonsense." Vince said.

"You have to believe me!"

"Let's go Aspen."