Chapter 33

After my talk with Erica and Natasha we all decided to call it a night feeling tired after the whole day's activities. I feel this uneasiness in my chest as I tried to find the proper side to sleep not only because of my injury but I was bothered about my conversation with the girls earlier. I mean I understand where they are coming from. We know little about what is happening unlike me, Aspen and Logan hasn't confirmed about what they know about what's going on. It's natural they'd react like that.

I just sighed before stirring on my sleeping bag again looking for a comfortable position but everything hurts no matter what I tried. My whole body feels so sore because of the impact of the crash earlier and being forced to run limping. I'm exhausted with the nerves of the car chase and the almost death and life experience.

I finally gave up on sleep and sat down. Looking at my left where I can see Aspen standing at the post just looking down the flight of stairs. He should be resting right now but he chose to go for first watch telling us that he couldn't sleep. Well as someone who was with him with everything that happened earlier I understand why.

I tried to stand as best as I can and limp towards him. He looks too deep in thought that he didn't even noticed me. I watched his facial features in the dim light. His brows furrowed like always as he stared at the darkness however there is something in his eyes though. Something dark mixed with gloom.

"Aspen." I called his name and suddenly his face is quickly void by any emotion. He is now back to his nonchalant expression.

"Myla?" he looked surprised when he saw me. His gaze lingered at my face for a few seconds as if he is making sure that he isn't seeing things before as if it finally occurred to him that I am injured so he quickly helps me seat at a bench. "You should be resting and not walking around like this."

"I couldn't sleep."

He looks taken a back for a few seconds with my answer before nodding, "Yeah. I can't too."

"Is it about what happened earlier?"

"Can you remember now?"

"A bit fuzzy but I think you were right about your theory earlier. I think it has got to do with the two of you. You two must've known something."

"I've been thinking the same thing and I've already talked to Logan about it but we couldn't think of a reason how all of this are connected."

"Maybe we should look at a different angle instead."

"Like what?"

"Like what are some sort of secret that Logan and you only knows."

"That's hard. We're best friends."

"Then something related to your family. Something that the two of your family only knows."

Aspen bit his lower lip and stayed quiet for a few seconds before suddenly I saw his eyes widen as our eyes locked again, "They aren't survivalist that's why they don't own a bunker but they own a safe house."

"Safe house?"

"Our family isn't only rich Myla my extended family members are politicians in our state. We need it for incase things got out of hand because of political rivalry. Only the family knows about this and Logan's because Logan also have politician family members and they are at the same party."

I smiled when he looked excited. With the new information that we have we are slowly getting closer to the truth with happened.

"So, there must be something there that the two-man needed. That's why your family can't come to rescue the both of you if they are alive they must be there and they can't risk others knowing. Since both of you are in the cabin they must've thought that we won't be affected by the sickness and they taught you how to haunt they know you two can protect yourselves."