Chapter 22

Aspen's POV

"Aspen." Logan greeted me as I opened the door for him. He is still wearing a makeshift mask as I instructed him before.

"Hey." I replied, "How can I help you?"

It's early in the morning and he is already up and knocking on my door. I was about to complain but when our eyes met I knew there was something wrong.

"Can you wear a mask? I need you to see something."

"What is it?"

"It's Theo. He finally changed last night."

My eyes widened as my heartbeat skyrocketed, "So it's true."

Logan nodded, combing his hair with his fingers, "I need you to see it and I could use your advice. Can you recall something about this project? Maybe anything."

"I don't but when I see him maybe I'd remember something."

"Okay. Let's go."

I wore my makeshift mask and walked with Logan but I was careful with the distance to make sure I won't infect him nor anyone who was also already awake and was busy with their chores. We made our way to the garage and there I saw Theo chained in the feet trying to reach for us. Just like the other sick people he has the same appearance.

"He almost attacked Vince earlier."

"What?"

"He couldn't recognize his friend."

"That's understandable since the experiment is about changing the behavior of a creature and restarting the brain."

"So that caused him to not remember his best friend?"

"Maybe. What other things have you noticed?"

"He tried to bite us. Do you think he is hungry?"

"Did you try feeding him?"

"We did but he just spilled it."

"Any chance he changes his appetite too? Maybe try something else."

"I'll talk to Erica." Logan said as he left me there to go back inside as I observed Theo.

He has the same eyes as the other sick people and the primate that I saw before. Unlike the primate since it has fur it doesn't show any veins just like the dark once that Theo has right now. However, what I noticed with the test subject before is the hair loss. It's just a little time until Theo may also have hair loss if we can't cure him.

I just looked at Theo entertaining myself with the rattling sounds of the chains and his movement. He is looking everywhere as if he is trying to hear something baring his teeth. I was so focused on his movements that I didn't realize that someone was with me here in the garage. I was surprised to see Vince also looking at his sick friend wearing a mask just like I do.

"We should just get rid of him before it's too late." he spoked.

"What?" I asked confused, not sure if I am hearing right because he said it in a low voice.

"Just like what we did to the others when they tried to attack us in the car. We should just end him."

I knitted my brows. Vince. The man who was very optimistic yesterday when we went to retrieve medicine and bring his best friend to the hospital was now thinking of killing the said best friend. How can he change within just a span of a few hours?

"The man was right and he died warning us."

I just looked at Vince as if something in his eyes were different. I want to step back afraid that he might also be infected with the way he is acting right now. Drastic change in behavior is a sign. But I don't want to provoke him so I just kept it cool but was vigilant.