Chapter 20

After our talk earlier, everyone finally ate breakfast peacefully. The tension slowly died down and everyone laughed and shared stories about what they did during their quarantine amongst others. However, there is something about this that was different from what we had a few days ago when we were still 'truly' having fun during our vacation.

When we were done everyone huddled together in the living room again. Vince finally returned from his walk but he is no longer the same guy that we met before. He looks gloomy, sad, as if there is this dark shadow surrounding him. He was one of the nicest guys that I met but he looks like he is barely living.

Now we started to plan on what we are going to do with the fence. Since Aspen and I would be going back to the city we are excused until we get back. The rest of the group is divided into different assignments: Vince, Erica, and Natasha would be for the security guarding the carpenters which are: Logan, Sebastian, and Jaden, while Nikita, Olivia, and Elora will be assigned for the household chores cooking for the group, cleaning, and inventorying our stocks. Since we don't know when this subsides we all decided to limit our consumption. We even suggested trying to plant vegetables and crops once we have completed the fences.

"Okay. Anything else?" Logan asked.

"No. We're all good." Sebastian answered.

"Okay. We'll start working tomorrow. For now, we'll get some rest. Jaden, come with me in the back. We'll check the equipment that we'll use."

"Sure."

"I'll come with." Aspen answered, "I'll look for tools that Myla and I can use later."

"Sure."

We each then went to do our own stuff. I joined Elora who was on her way to the kitchen but when I noticed her discomfort I rubbed her back.

"Is there something wrong?" I asked, seeing that she is holding her mouth and clutching her stomach.

"I'm good." she said a few minutes later.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah I'm fine. I think I just ate something funny earlier."

"Okay. Do you want to drink some pills? I think I heard Logan tell us earlier that Aspen was able to retrieve some medicine."

"No, I'm good, I just need water."

"Okay."

For the rest of the morning we just talked and played some board and card games missing the time where we are all together. When afternoon came we prepared lunch and ate. I was about to join the others again with another round of Uno when Aspen called me.

"Yes?"

"Come with me." he just said before walking outside. I furrowed my brows confused because one of the rules that Logan told us that we should follow is that we shouldn't wander around outside since it's dangerous.

I just sighed and followed him thinking that Aspen is with me at least we'll be safe. When we got outside a cool breeze hit my skin however there is something in the air that sends shivers down my spine. The smell. There is something different from when we first came here.

"Myla." Aspen called again when I just stood there looking at the forest.

"Coming!" I jogged down to where he was rounding the cabin as we went to the back. There I saw the rest of the gang in front of what looks like a makeshift target holding guns. I froze, my hands starting to shake a little but I held it with my other and tried to compose myself smiling at them as they greeted them.