Chapter 23

Aspen's POV

So, then we just used the rest of the afternoon to teach Myla self-defense instead of using the gun. She looks more comfortable and at ease trying to throw punches and kicks which made me feel a bit relieved knowing that she'd be alright out there with me. I can protect myself alright but I'd be having trouble trying to save the both of us if I worry about her safety.

"Loosen your arms, you're too stiff." I told her crossing my hands to my chest as I watched Myla try to do a stance. She did as I asked her as I nodded. "Move your hips to the side each time you thrust your legs forward. You'll lose your balance doing that."

Myla huff before doing what I asked her almost falling because of losing her footing. Logan helped her with her posture as they laughed whispering to each other. I felt kind of irritated with their exchange despite knowing that my friend is obsessed with his girlfriend and is just close to Myla that's why they act the way they are. I just pushed the thoughts aside and instructed her again as we continued to practice until finally the sun was finally setting.

"We should head back." Jaden said, "It's dangerous to stay outdoors."

We all nodded and took our stuff. Jaden went with Myla and headed inside while Logan, Vince, and I went to the back to return the rest of the equipment.

"Should we at least bring one gun inside?" Logan asked me as we put the rest of the gun back in their case.

I sneak a look at Vince who was done putting aside his and just looking at the other guns in the display rack. I didn't know why Logan agreed that he should be near a gun when I noticed some changes in his behavior but Logan unlike me has a heart and he trusts him so I just agreed with him. If he says that it is safe then it will be.

"Just one. Just in case. The others might be comfortable with the weapon." I replied. I know that in a political perspective some people in our country do not agree with the legality of these things so I respect them for not wanting to have these inside. Maybe that's why Myla also acted that way earlier. However, something tells me it's not just because of that.

Logan nodded, "Okay. Vince let's go."

I looked at Vince inspecting his clothes just in case he tried to sneak in another. Logan may go easy on him but I'm not my best friend. We're complete opposites that way. I don't want to just suspect anyone but I need to be vigilant after what I observed with his behavior lately. And not just him but it goes with everybody. After what is happening around us right now we need to be careful in order to survive this.

Vince and I locked eyes noticing me looking at him but I just averted my gaze and walked first back to the house where everyone was already preparing for dinner. Natasha with Erica who were setting the table greeted me and I just nodded at them as I made my way upstairs to freshen up. The rest of the group also said 'hi' and I just nodded at them until I finally got to my room and noticed that I didn't see Myla. I looked at her room just across from me about to twist the knob of my door when I saw lights inside. Knowing that she was safe there I quickly went in and did my business.

The next day I noticed that the rest of the group were giving me sympathetic looks. That was only then it occurred to me that it is finally the day that we are going to leave to find a cure for Theo. I just ignored their pity glances and just made my way to the kitchen to eat when suddenly Logan had to make a huge deal about it and decided to have a speech. I just rolled my eyes mentally but was grateful for the gesture.

"Don't be too hard on her out there. She isn't like you. She doesn't have a heart of stone." Logan teased as I just glared at him. We are finally leaving to go to the company to get some answers and Logan was saying his farewell. We just finished making sure that I brought everything. We want to travel light but in case something goes wrong at least we have supplies waiting in the car.