Chapter 14

Aspen's POV

Natasha is on the seat behind me with Theo. Since she is the one who knew about first aid she is the one who we brought. Jaden has to stay there so that we have the manpower to protect the others in case something happens when we are gone. We didn't know what we would be expecting in the city right now with the cell towers down.

We drove quietly into the woods Vince was looking around as I instructed him to look for the man in case we saw him on the way but we were already halfway across the property but we still can't see any signs of him.

"Theo is getting worse." Natasha said with a shaky breath as she tried to wipe away the sweat from Theo's face.

"Drive faster." Vince who was right beside me said.

I bit my lower lip hesitating. Yes, this vehicle can be driven off roads but I am worried that it would be shaky and it would be dangerous for all of us.

I sighed, pinching the bridge of my nose hoping that we'd be fine, "Wear your seatbelts and Natasha make sure that Theo is secured."

They did as I told as I shifted gear and stepped on the gas. I felt the pull as the truck shook, driving faster to the city.

A few minutes later I can finally see the asphalt road. I shifted gear as we went to the main road. I furrowed my brows as I looked around and noticed that it was oddly quiet. There was an abandoned police car and trash everywhere. My suspicions heighten when I saw a dead body of a deer being eaten by a flock of crows. His innards sticking out in the ground.

"Is it just me or does it feel weird out here." Vince said, looking around.

"Just drive." Natasha replied her voice stern but I can hear in her tone that she too is worried about our surroundings right now.

I just stepped on the gas when I heard Theo groaning again. I looked for a nearby hospital when I noticed the abandoned establishments everywhere. We couldn't see even one single person walking around or even a car moving. Everything is deserted.

"Where is everyone?"

"I don't know." I replied as I pulled over after seeing the hospital at a distance. There was a line of abandoned cars in front of us so we had to walk and carry Theo. I rolled down the windows and took a peek out but even from here I couldn't see any medical staff. "We need to go out."

"I have a bad feeling about this." Vince answered.

"We don't have any other choice. We have to try. Theo is getting worse."

"Make sure that your masks are secured." I said as I turned off the truck. Both of them retied their masks before helping Theo with his.

I opened the door as Vince hesitated to go out with me. We went to the back and got Theo as Natasha guided us. Vince took Theo's head as I carried his feet. Natasha followed us as we walked inside the hospital. I took a glance at the abandoned cars and noticed that there was no one in but I did see that there were luggage inside as if everyone was in a hurry to leave.

We slowly made our way to the hospital only to see that no one was there to welcome us. The whole place is trashed. There are papers everywhere, medical equipment littered around the place, and what I did notice is the blood stains and dirt all over the place.

"No one is here." Vince said.

"What do we do?" Natasha asked.

"Vince, try to get a signal and search what we can do to help Theo. Natasha, you stay here and take care of him. I'll look around and get as much medical supply as we need. Let's try to DIY this. This is the only way we can help him."

"Can I stay in the car? I feel more comfortable there. There is something eerie about this place."

"Okay."

After Vince and I carried Theo back I left the two to take care of him and got back inside to get as much medicine as I could. I took a backpack from the car and made my way inside. I went to the nearest room but it was locked. I tried the next one and pushed the bed in front of the door and opened it. A foul smell immediately entered my nostrils just by opening the small crack of the door. I quickly shot the door covering my mouth with my arm. Even with the mask I can still smell the stench.

I moved on to the next door and there was a keypad lock. I already know that this is where the important medical supplies are. Working at a pharmaceutical company I am aware of their procedures so I tried to use the password that I know the hospitals in this province uses and pressed it on the keypad but it didn't work. I tried again thinking that I got the wrong numbers at the end because that is usually when they change it, the first two digits are just the same to all in this geographical location.

I tried using the same code just changing the last two digits. I was on my seventh attempt when I felt a gush of wind behind me. I immediately turned around to see if it was just my imagination or someone was really there. I looked around and saw a paper fluttering. I sighed, returning my attention to the keypad until finally after a few tries I was able to open the door.

I got inside and looked around the place. Unlike the ones outside everything is neat and in order. I opened my pack and took everything I thought we'd be needing. At least I am familiar with some of it. When my back was already full I made my way outside and jogged back to the car. Still I couldn't see any clue of anyone's whereabouts.

I went back inside and saw Vince's hand sticking out trying to find a signal I'm sure. I quickly ran back to the car worried about Theo. When they saw me coming Vince leaned forward to the console and opened the door for me. I slid in and looked at Natasha and Theo in the back. Theo looked like he has been feeling worse since we left.

"I have the medicine." I said.

"I can't get a signal." Vince replied.

"It's okay." Natasha answered, "We'll improvise."

I gave Natasha the bag as she began trying to help Theo, Vince assisting her as I took out my phone and tried to get a signal. I tried calling my parents and the company again now that we are here in the city. I was expecting that I would be able to reached them from here but unfortunately no matter how many attempts I made it didn't work.

"We need to go back." Natasha said, "It's uncomfortable for Theo if we stay here."

I nodded trying to dial my parents again, "Okay. Just give me a minute, I'll try calling again."

I hit call and heard the phone ring. The number of my parents flashing on the screen as I stared at it and just as I was about to press it to my ear I heard a loud thud beside me and my eyes widened when I saw someone knocking on the window.

"Hello." he said, "Hello. Is someone there? The engine is on."

The car is tinted, that's why even if he tried to peek inside he wouldn't see us. I was about to roll the windows down to talk to him when Vince held my arm stopping me.

"Why?" Natasha asked him who was confused right now when he saw that Vince has his fingers pressed on her lips gesturing to us to stay quiet.

Vince didn't reply immediately and just pointed at the man's shirt and that's when I saw that he had blood stains all over him, "We can't trust him."

"Hello? Can you hear me? I know there is someone there. I saw you enter the car earlier." he continued knocking as we whispered inside.

"There is no one around but him. You think he is some sort of terrorist?" Natasha said.

I shook my head, "I don't know he doesn't look like he has any weapons with him."

I looked back again to the middle-aged man who has white beard and bald hair wearing a checkered shirt that is bloody and has buttons undone with his huge stomach.

"Please, I need help. I have nowhere to go. Everyone has already turned into one of them."

"Turned into one of them? What does he mean by that?" Vince said.

"Let's find out." I said as I turned into the man and was about to press the button to roll down the window when Natasha grabbed my hand.

"No." she said, "He might be dangerous."

"Don't worry I got this."