Chapter 19

The next day I was glad that I didn't wake up from a nightmare. To be honest, despite now living in what seems to be a pre-apocalyptic world now I feel a bit happy knowing that I can finally get out of this room and see the rest of my friends. However, when I got downstairs and saw that everyone was already there I didn't think that I would be disappointed after feeling the heavy atmosphere clouding the whole room.

I can see that they are smiling and greeting each other after not being able to see nor talk to others for a week but there is this tension surrounding us that made me realize that just like me they are feeling indifferent about our situation right now and just glad to be able to finally go out and talk to someone.

"Good morning." I greeted them as they greeted me and just on cue Elora just ran towards me and trapped me in a bear bug.

"Myla!" she cried, "I missed you!"

"I missed you too." I replied almost tear-eyed as I hugged her back.

I made small conversations with her along with the others until Jaden and Logan finally arrived as the tension increased and the whole room was then enveloped in silence. Logan looked at each one of us already knowing that he must address the situation we are in right now. Jaden nodded at Logan as he joined us who was waiting for Logan to have the 'speech.'

"I was planning on announcing it after breakfast but since you are all already here I thought I'd say it now instead." he said as I saw in the corner of my eye my best friend smiling at him as if encouraging him to continue. He smiled back combing his hair before returning his attention to the rest of us.

He let out a heavy breath before continuing, "As you all know what Aspen and the others found out about this 'disease' is true. Theo has finally turned into one of them and is chained in the garage."

I saw him sneaking a glance at Vince who was sitting in the corner. He has a 5 o'clock shadow on his face drinking with what looks like coffee in a mug but after talking to Logan last night I know that what is inside that mug is different. His hair is disheveled and he is just staring at nowhere deep in thought.

"Now that a week has passed and there isn't anything unusual with anybody's behavior we can conclude that the disease can only be transmitted through biting. So, it's safe to say that everybody is not infected."

Everybody let out a heavy breath relief knowing that there is nothing wrong with any of us.

"But... We still have to take precautions since we don't know if it's the only way the disease can be transmitted. We cleaned the car that the others used when they got to the city and removed the blood stains to make sure that we couldn't contact anything. Just like what Aspen and I talked about the other day, if it's biting it means that the flesh must be exposed in order for it to be transmitted which means even scratches are possible. We checked everyone who was contacted by the diseased people and there aren't any visible scratches so we are all right, for now."

"What do you mean for now?" Natasha asked.

"Well... we tried to drive around the city to see the scale of this disease and tried to get a signal so that we'd be able to contact anybody but... sadly there aren't any services nor any indication that this would stop in the near future. Everyone was just like the others 'sick'."

"Are you able to meet any survivors? Maybe get some information about what is happening. Our families..."

Logan shook his head, "I apologize but we couldn't."

There was dead silence surrounding the room. Every one of us doesn't have a clue with what is happening beyond this city nor with our families. I am sure just like me they are all worried. As far as we know we are the only survivors left.