Chapter 11

Aspen's POV

I was reluctant to leave Myla behind alone with the stranger who might be infected by some sort of sickness but we needed to warn our friends in case this disease is really airborne so I volunteered to leave.

I wouldn't care less if it was any other girl but there is something about Myla makes me so drawn towards her. I didn't know why but the moment I laid eyes on her I felt this some sort of connection with her. It's weird. I don't know what to think of it. All I know is that she is attractive and it's been a while since I noticed a girl's appearance.

I just shook the idea inside my head thinking that I might just be caught up in the moment after all its summer and I am isolated from society with other people my age. Besides it seems like from the very first day the guys have already staked their claim to the other girls hovering around them once they've arrived and it was Myla who was the only one left, being late and all, that's why she is the only one available. And it was a coincidence that we are partnered in that stupid game.

I just focused my attention back to the darkness as I made my way to the campsite hoping that Myla would be fine alone. I used my flashlight to see where I was going, looking around making sure that I was alone and that another sick person wouldn't try to attack me. Remembering what Myla and I talked about earlier I adjusted the cloth in my mouth making sure that it was covering my nose as well and didn't want to get infected.

I remember before going here when I was working that I saw the same symptoms from a chimpanzee. I was the CEO of the company right after my dad retired and became a board member instead so I didn't know anything that much about this project. Based on the reports they are sending me it hasn't shown any success results. I'm no expert so I am not aware of anything scientific regarding this. All I know is that they are able to restart the brain and help with chemical imbalance, however in the long run it has shown side effects like the pale complexion, veins showing, clouded white eyes, and the aggressive behavior. That's why I am shocked to see a person who is affected by this knowing that it shouldn't even have gone past the primate testing. We were still observing rodents but despite the unwanted results they continued on to primates thinking that it might show better effects as they are closer to our species and have a more complex brain. But unfortunately, they failed. And it looks like they didn't just fail in that department because there is a sick man on the loose.

I jogged towards the camp hoping that I'm not too late. If this is airborne we might all be carriers by now. I quicken my phase, thankful that finally I can see the silhouette from afar. I can make out Natasha and Jaden's shadow from the distance taking care of Theo who was still unconscious lying on the makeshift bed that they made. My eyes then went to Logan who was sitting beside Elora. Looks like everyone on camp couldn't sleep with what's going on. When Elora felt my presence she immediately approached me as Logan was right on her tail.

"Aspen you're back. Where is Myla?"

"Listen, I think I know what is going on right now."

"What is it?" Logan asked, looking concerned, "And what are you wearing?"

"I think the guy in the shack is sick and it's because of some crazy experiment going on in our company."

"What? What did your company do?"

"I don't have time to explain, we might be infected. Go find something to cover your nose and mouth. We have to make precaution that this might be airborne. You have to tell everybody."

"Okay. On it." Elora answered, nodding as she made her way to the rest of the gang. But before she did Logan ripped a piece of his shirt and gave it to her as he did the same to himself and wrapped the cloth in his mouth before facing me.