Chapter 39

The next day everyone got busy with the fence again. No one has spoken about what happened last night. My best friend still hasn't left her room and just helped made breakfast before going back up again. Now that everyone finds out that she was pregnant they all agreed not to let her work outside as it might strain her and affect the baby. She'd be just with me here inside the house to do other chores.

I just helped with the preparations of those who choose to leave by sorting out the supplies they could bring in the storage just as I heard someone entered inside. There I saw Aspen who was on his way to the other side of the room where the tools and generator are.

"You're packing?" he asked just as I nodded.

"Vince trusted me to do this since he is busy with the fence."

Aspen didn't reply so I returned my focus on the items I was sorting out but I felt him behind me shifting his feet.

"About the investigation..."

"Do you agree with them too?" I asked meeting his gaze as he bit his lower lip before turning away, "So you do." I just mumbled when he didn't say anything and I continued on working.

"It's too risky. Vince has a point."

"Then where are we going?"

"To still find the truth. But we are going to look at a different angle this time."

I furrowed my brows as we locked eyes and he gave me a knowing smile, "What do you mean?"

"We're going to our parents."

"But you told me that's too long of a journey."

"That's for the others to decide and for us to risk it. So, are you in?"

I blinked and this time I was the one who looked away. We did try to find a cure for Theo and now he isn't the only one who got infected, Nikita too. I haven't seen her since she got back from the dead last night. Even the others didn't see her when they scouted the area before starting to work on the fence.

I feel like I am to blame for what happened. Everyone didn't want to risk it but I did. And now we are given the same choice again. Stay and let the men who almost killed us arrive or leave and risk being out there in a road full of sickos.

I bit my lower lip before meeting Aspen's eyes. I don't know what to choose but I do know one thing. "I'll go where my best friend goes. She needs me right now."

Aspen nodded, "Okay." before leaving me as I continue to work.

Vince escorted me back just as I finished working. I walked pass the rest of the gang as they finished the fence as I made my way upstairs. There is still a lot of work needed to be done but with what happened yesterday, the added workforce, and the rotation, the building became faster.

I just cleaned my hands before preparing lunch for the rest of the group. While I was cutting the ingredients, I felt a presence behind me and there I saw Elora. She just nodded at me acknowledging my presence before helping me.

A few moments later we are now setting up the table. The air between us is still heavy. I glance at Elora waiting for her to say something to me after what happened last night but still she didn't spoke unless it has got to do with work.

After I followed her upstairs to her room she just dismisses me hiding under the covers as she cried. I just sat there on the bed watching her as I just found myself crying too. Everything is too much for her. For all of us. We just came here for a summer vacation and now we have to try to survive this outbreak.