prologue

"Eddie get your ass over here!" i yell through a smile.

i watch as he turns and scans the cafeteria before landing his eyes on me.

the look of pure terror on his face as he got up and ran for the hills made me giggle.

i dropped my bag and sprinted after him.

i was on the track team for my whole middle school life, and it definitely payed off as i quickly caught up to him outside in the student parking lot.

i grabbed the collar of his denim vest and stopped him in his tracks.

he tripped slightly as he stopped, turning to face me.

"what do you want now Winifred?" he teased, calling me by my full name.

"I told you, it's winnie. you campaigning with your club tonight?" i questioned.

"why would you wanna know?"

"i have to pick Mike up from Henderson's place in the morning. i wanna know if the little shit is lying to me or if there's actually a campaign tonight."

"there is. you're welcome to join us with your level 1 goblin of a character." he joked.

"nice try, but my level 16 rogue will not be making an appearance this evening. i'll be there at 8:30 with his stuff. got it?"

"yes ma'am." he smirked.

"i'll see you in the woods after school, and quit staring at my ass!" i yelled as i turned to walk back inside.

i stepped over to mike and dustin.

"i'm dropping your shit off at your little cult gathering tonight at 8:30, if you're not outside to grab it i will leave it for the rats."

"yes mom." he joked.

i grabbed him tightly by the hair.

"what was that?" i questioned.

"yes ma'am." he corrected.

"good little shit, i'll see you tonight." i let go and walked past the popular table to go to the bathroom like i did every day.

"wash your hair lately, freak?" jason taunted.

"wash your dick lately, man-whore?" i questioned, flipping him off.

i picked up my bag from the ground and opened the bathroom door, sitting alone in the end stall.

i took a breath, rummaging through my bag for the shitty ham sandwich holly made for me this morning.

dont get me wrong, i love my sister, but she was covered head to toe in butter by the time i came to pick it up so i have very, very low expectations.

i was the black sheep of the wheeler family.

thick black eyeliner and mascara, pale as a sheet of printer paper, my hair was long, fluffy, wavy, thick and black. it always looks like a rats nest, as nana says.