(31)

a week had passed.

eddie was currently in court for the murders.

i was afraid, nervous, i felt nauseous with anxiety of the outcome.

i got up and walked downstairs, cane clinking along the floor.

"winifred honey i made brunch if you want any." mom called from the kitchen.

i walked over, picked up some toast and bacon before sitting down and eating.

"they're televising that munson boy's trial, i think your father is watching it in the other room." she said quietly.

"i'd rather just wait and hear the results." i nodded to myself, finishing up and grabbing my keys.

"i'm going to work, i'll see you guys tonight!" i called.

"bye win." mom called.

"bye!" mike and my sisters yelled.

i got in my car and drove to the video store.

the town was...empty.

yeah there were the families that stayed.

but most of the town fled with the 'earthquake.'

i pulled up outside and parked, heading inside.

"hey." robin greeted.

"ahoy." i smiled, hopping the counter.

"it's just us, steve is running late." she said, turning to the computer to do returns.

"took to long doing his hair?" i joked.

she giggled and nodded.

"probably."

"how's things with you and vickie going?" i asked, looking over at her and putting my bag down.

"they're good, things are good. steve was right." she mumbled the last part.

"vickie likes boobies?" i teased.

she chuckled and sighed.

"vickie likes boobies." she nodded.

"i'm happy for you rob, it's been long enough. you deserve to be happy." i half hugged her gently.

"thank you." she smiled.

we didn't talk much after that, just repacking shelves, doing returns and checking people out.

steve showed up like a whole hour after when he was supposed to.

we all went out to get food after our shifts.

we just went to benny's, got burgers and sat inside to eat.

they had a small tv in the corner that was showing the news.

i was mid-bite when i heard eddie's name.

i looked up and glanced over at the tv sitting on the counter.

"the court has come to a decision on the case of edward 'eddie' munson. while we are still waiting for updates, this is Sandra Murdock bringing you live updates on channel 9." the anchor smiled.

"don't worry about it, just focus on eating win." steve said, shuffling over in the booth to block my view.

"i know, but this is my partner, someone i really like and hang out with on a regular basis being tried for murder he didn't commit. it's hard not to focus on it." i sighed, putting my food down.

"well, what if we go somewhere there are no tvs, we'll turn off your car radio, and we can all just sit quietly?" he offered.

"yeah right, where would we go?" i asked.

"lake jordan? it's not too far away from here."

"it's also full of trash and chemicals from the power plant, no way." i chuckled dryly, glancing outside.

"we've just received an update, the jury has found edward munson not guilty on three counts of second degree murder. once again this is Sandra Murdock with channel 9 news." the anchor smiled.

i looked at steve, then back to the tv, then back to steve, then to robin, then back to steve.

it didn't feel real.

it didn't feel like it was actually happening.

"did she just say-" robin began.

"not guilty, yeah she did!" steve smiled at me.

i smiled and grabbed my keys, running for my car.

i hopped in and just drove, i didn't care what speed i was going i just had to get to town hall.

and i had to get there fast.