(17)

we drove, and drove, and drove.

"god you have the worst taste in music, do you not have anything newer?" steve complained from the backseat, going through my cassette tapes.

"i have new music! i have that new metallica album, and ozzy, neil diamond... that's moms tape."

"karen and her diamond." he scoffed, rummaging through the tapes at the bottom.

"aha!" he smirked, pulling out a tape.

"what?" i asked, turning onto the main road.

"aha! take on me!" he smiled, handing it to robin who was in the front seat.

she reached to take the mixtape out of the deck.

i slapped her hand.

"that mixtape doesn't leave the deck. it's all i have left of jamie." i said, looking in the rear view.

"winnie that was a year ago, you need to move on." steve said, looking up at me.

I paused.

"fine, but the mixtape stays in the glovebox." i sighed, reluctantly pushing eject.

it popped out with a small click and robin changed the tapes, putting jamie's mixtape in the glovebox of my car.

i watched to make sure it got in there safely.

the familiar drum best of take on me started playing through the speakers of my car.

dustin and robin started singing along, eventually steve joined in, max too.

"winnie, come on!" dustin whined.

"no way."

"why, because it isn't about murder?"

"i will have you know metal is not just murder! steve find joan jett for me." i smiled in the mirror.

"oh god." he chuckled, rummaging through the box and handing me my tape.

i changed aha for joan and skipped the first song, cherry bomb playing through the speakers.

"this isn't joan jett, this was the runaways?" max said.

"joan jett sang for the runaways!" i smiled, singing along and dancing as much as i could while driving responsibly.

"can't stay at home, can't stay at school!" i sang, looking to robin.

"old folks say, you poor little fool." she smirked.

"down the streets, i'm the girl next door!" i smiled.

"i'm the fox you're waiting for!" robin yelled.

"hello daddy, hello mom!" max joined us.

"i'm your ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-cherry bomb!" we all sung together.

"hello world i'm your wild girl!" i smiled.