(16)

after their shift ended, steve came with me.

i dropped him at his house before going back to my own.

i parked and walked inside quietly.

"back so soon?" mike asked.

"fuck off." i glared at him, walking upstairs and trying not to get upset again.

i fell down into my bed, dropping my bag beside me and sliding off my shoes.

i sighed and fixed my position, falling asleep there.

the next morning, i was woken up my mike shaking me violently.

"what? what?" i yelled, sitting up and rubbing my eyes tiredly.

"you need to see this." he said, grabbing my arm and dragging me out of bed.

i fell out of bed and landed on the floor on my knees, getting up and walking quickly with him downstairs.

the news was playing as it always was on a saturday morning.

dad watched the news, then mom listened to her music and cleaned the house.

"the body of a hawkins high student was discovered early this morning. police have not yet released the victim's name, however we are being told they are currently notifying the family." the reporter said, her blue jacket blindingly bright in the sunrise.

"jesus, why did you wake me up for-" i started, cutting myself off when i realised why.

she was standing in front of eddie's trailer.

i ran to the hall table and grabbed my keys, fumbling with the locks on the door.

"where are you going?" mike asked, looking between me and the door.

"i've gotta go find eddie." i said, walking out and rushing into my car.

it was only when i sat down on the cold leather of my car seats that i realised, i wasn't wearing pants.

silently cursing myself out, i rummaged through the bag on the seat beside me.

nothing.

i sighed and just started driving, driving to the caravan park.

what the fuck?

maybe they were just using his trailer as a background?

or max.

was max dead?

drive.

drive faster winnie.

drive.

i pulled into the caravan park and navigated through roads until i got to max and eddie's street.

surely enough, police and reporters were at eddie's trailer.

i sighed in almost relief before remembering this was just as bad.