(1)

i got in my car and turned the key as the engine turned over, familiar rumbling filling my ears.

i put my bag down in the passenger seat, took my hair out of the rubber band, and reversed out, heading to holly's elementary school.

that little shit was making me feel old, she's already 6!

i pulled up on the side of the road and got out, walking inside the brightly coloured building.

"hi Mary, i'm here for holly." i smiled to the admin lady.

"just holly? no friends today?" she asked, tilting her head.

"not today, no."

"she's in the library with the rest of her class waiting for their parents. do you want some ice for that eye?" she asked.

"no thank you, take care Mary." i smiled, walking to the library.

"Hollicopter, come on kiddo we gotta get you home for dance class." i called from the doorway.

"are you Holly's mother?" her teacher asked.

"no, i'm her older sister."

"you're not nancy."

"other older sister, Winnie."

"right. well i need to speak with Holly's mother as soon as possible."

"regarding?" i questioned, raising a brow as holly walked over to me.

"holly got in a bit of a fight today because somebody took her lunch."

"ok, and?" i asked, not seeing the issue.

"well she cant be going around hitting other students."

"well other kids cant be going around stealing her lunch, now can they? i would suggest you speak to the other kid's parent, and if she starts hitting for no reason, then call mom." i smiled, picking holly up and putting her on my hip as i went to leave.

"my church offers a good sunday school for troubled youth!" she called after us.

i turned around and made devil horns with my hand, making a goblin noise before i left and got to my car.

"minnie?" holly asked from the backseat as i climbed into my car.

"what's up kid?" i asked. she always called me minnie instead of winnie, like that cartoon mouse.

"why did my teacher tell you about sunday school?"

"because your teacher thinks i'm a devil worshipper."

"are you?"

"no hol, no i'm not. we go to church every sunday, dont we?"

she nodded.

"well then how could i be a devil worshipper?"

she shrugged and looked out the window.

the truth was i hated going to church, but i did it for mom.