(30)

we had taken the donation boxes down to the relief centre.

whilst i was there, i saw eddie's uncle taking down missing posters.

"mr munson?" i called.

"wayne is fine. if you're about to yell at me for my nephew's actions please just turn around and leave." he said, a pained expression upon his face.

"no, no of course not sir. um...i'm winifred wheeler, eddie was a good friend of mine."

his face suddenly lit up as he grabbed my hand and shook it.

"eddie talked about you a lot." he smiled.

"i'm sure he did. i'll get to the point, nobody will tell me anything, where is eddie?" i asked, keeping my voice down as people surrounded us.

"you haven't heard?" he asked.

"i was in hospital for two days before now, heard what?" i asked.

"he's got a court date next week, it'll be tough but i'm really hoping he gets off."

"where is he now?" i asked.

"he's spending the week at the station, they're allowing visitors though. i'd be happy to bring you down to see him?" he offered.

"thank you sir, but i'll visit on my own time. i wouldn't want to keep you from your own life." i smiled softly.

"well alright, but if you need anything, you know where to find us." he shook my hand before walking off to take down more posters.

i turned around and headed over to dustin.

"ahoy." i smiled, wrapping my arm around him.

"you spoke to mr munson?"

i nodded.

"so you know about eddie then?"

i nodded again.

"i'm sorry winnie, i should have come after you." he apologised.

"dustin, look me in my eyes. i have a badass scar, but otherwise i'm fine. am i not?"

he nodded after thinking for a moment.

"then i'm ok, you would have only hurt yourself if you had followed after me." i said, punching him in the arm lightly.

"i guess." he nodded, looking around for steve.

"we ready to go?" steve asked from behind us.

"sounds good." i nodded.

"is robin staying?" dustin asked.

"she's with vickie, she'll be fine." he smirked.

i nodded and walked out to the car, getting in the passenger seat.

we headed to hopper's cabin, we were supposed to meet the others there to help clean up.

when we got there, there was argyle's pizza van and a government car waiting.

i got out and looked around, seeing nancy waiting outside.

"what happened?" i called, walking up to her and preparing to go in and fight.

"relax, it's just hop. mrs byers is inside with him and the kids." she dismissed.

i glanced inside and saw joyce hugging will, mike and johnathan, eleven and hopper reconnecting in her room.

i waved at joyce gently and she let go of her boys, racing over to me and grabbing me by the cheeks.

"what happened to you? are you alright? god i've missed you." she rambled, checking me over for more injuries.

"i'm fine mrs byers, really. you wouldn't even believe the truth." i chuckled, hugging her and letting her back to her kids.

hopper and el came out to see the rest of us.

"winifred." he greeted, a hidden smirk on his face.

"sheriff hopper." i nodded at him, tucking my hair behind my ears.

"good to see you, staying out of trouble?" he asked.

"yes sir." i nodded, letting myself smile.

"you know, my days as a cop are over. you can tell the truth." he said matter-of-factly.

"i've been pretty high." i chuckled, shaking his hand.

"that's what i thought." he laughed, patting my shoulder and walking past me to the rest of the kids.

eventually we were all outside, life was great.

we had rekindled old fires, mended old friendships, confessed our sins.

it was time for this chapter of the book to close.

the chapter of the upside down.