(13)

i frantically sat up and scanned my room, not seeing the source of the sound.

we didn't have a grandfather clock anywhere in the house?

but it sounded like it was right behind me.

i couldn't see it so i just hoped it would stop.

but it kept going.

tick.

tick.

tick.

tick.

tick.

tick.

tick.

tick.

bang.

i looked out the window and saw a clock not too far away, smashed into a tree.

"what the-"

the unmistakeable sound of my door opening took my attention and the clock sound stopped.

"hey, mom told me to bring this to you. everything ok?"

"no, our brother is an asshole." i sighed, taking the soup from her.

"good point, wanna talk about it?"

"not really." i shook my head, putting the bowl down on my bedside table and looking up at her.

"alright, well i'm here if you need me." nancy smiled as she left.

i looked over at the soup and then back to the door, quietly picking up the bowl and eating.

i finished up and put the empty bowl down on my desk, grabbing my towel off the back of my chair and heading for the bathroom.

that damned clock haunted my ears.

i felt like i could hear it all the time.

i got into the shower, letting the hot water run down my back as it grabbed my hair and pulled it to the back of my shoulders.

i washed it and my body, stepping out and drying off.

i put one of steve's shirts on with some underwear and socks, skipping pants as i slipped into bed.

i pulled the sheets over my shoulder and closed my eyes.

tick.

tick.

tick.

tick.

i woke up the next morning, getting up and looking at my hair in the mirror.

it was a proper rats nest.

i grabbed a comb and pulled it through, it wouldn't kill my curls as much as a brush would.

once it looked half decent i got to braiding, doing two french braids and leaving my bangs out.