(7)

i walked into the cafeteria for lunch after fourth period.

i saw Eddie and his senior friends at their table already, then saw jason and his goons watching my every move.

i shook my hair into my face to cover the bruise around my eye and kept my head down as i walked past them, only to be stopped by a hand grabbing my collar and yanking me backwards.

i saw jason's face creep into my vision and i sighed softly.

"hey dyke, where do you think you're going? bathroom's back the way you came." he said in a low tone, straight into my ear.

"i'm going to give someone something, and then i'm leaving." i said, staring straight ahead.

"well go on then, deliver your gift and leave. people like you don't belong here." he spat, walking back to his table.

i took a deep breath, fighting off watering eyes and walked over to eddie's table, stopping just beside him.

"hey, this is for you, a thank you for yesterday." i said, sliding two tabs into my sleeve from my pocket and under his leather jacket, sitting it between his skin and the fabric.

"sit down, i'll introduce you." he smiled up at me.

"i cant, i'm sorry." i said softly, hitting his shoulder gently before turning and walking out of the cafeteria and into the bathroom.

i went to the end stall as per usual and sat on the ground against the wall.

i heard footsteps running toward the door and then inside, then they stopped.

"winnie?" eddie's voice called.

"what are you doing in here?" i asked, looking at his shoes under the stall door.

"what's going on?" he asked, walking to the end stall and stopping.

i stayed silent, trying to think of a lie.

"did jason say something?" he asked after a moment, sitting with his back against the stall door.

"it's stupid, you wouldn't get it." i answered, poking his back.

he flinched forward, turning so he was facing me.

"what did he say?"

"it's stupid, don't worry about it."

"winnie, what did he say?" he repeated.

"he called me a dyke, and said people like me don't belong in this school." i spat, leaning back against the cold, tiled wall.

"open the door." he said, pulling himself to his feet.

"why?" i asked.

"just trust me, open the door."

i sighed and stood up, picking my bag up and slinging it over my shoulder before sliding the lock and pulling the door open.

he put his hands out for mine to take.

i placed my hands lightly in his and he pulled me towards the counter.