(21)

i got back in my car and sat in the drivers seat.

"what happened?"

"due to years of soap operas and manipulating my parents into not grounding me, they've ruled me out as a suspect, which means eddie's name isn't completely cleared but it's looking a lot less intense."

"wait up, wait up!" nancy called, running over to my car.

"i'll come with you guys, we have to talk."

i nodded and steve got out of the passenger seat, letting nancy in beside me and squeezing in beside her.

"max your place is our best bet. supervised but not televised." i called, turning around and driving up to the caravan park.

~~~

"so, this thing that killed fred and chrissy, it's from the upside down?"

"if the shoe fits." steve nodded.

"our working theory is that he attacks with a spell, or a curse."

"he's either doing the bidding of the mind flayer or just likes killing teens, we don't know which." dustin finished, looking at max.

"all we know is that this is something different, something new." she said.

"it doesn't make any sense, why chrissy, why fred?" nancy asked.

"we don't know, all this is just a theory." i said.

"wrong place, wrong time?" dustin suggested.

"both at the game, both at the trailer park." max spoke up.

"we're at the trailer park, should we maybe not be here?" steve asked.

"there is something about this place, fred was acting weird as soon as we got here, like he was scared, or upset." nancy spoke, staring off distantly.

"chrissy was upset too.." i said softly, looking up at the group.

"she was in the bathroom, she was crying and then left in a panic."

"serial killers stalk their prey before they strike, right?" robin asked.

i nodded.

"so maybe they saw vecna."

"i don't know about you guys but, i'd mention seeing a living demon prune to somebody." steve shrugged.

"maybe they did, chrissy was leaving miss kelley's office. if you saw a monster, you wouldn't go to the police. they wouldn't believe you, you'd go to-" max started.

"your shrink." robin cut her off.

"to miss kelley's." i said, walking up to my car.

nancy kept walking.

"the hell are you going?" i asked.

"nothing, it's just something i wanna check."

"are you out of your mind? no, i'm coming with you." steve said, following her.

"i know i can drive but i'm not letting you go with nancy alone." i said.

"i'll go, you go with Winnie and the kids." robin called, walking over to nancy.

they walked away and we got in my car.

"always the babysitter, always the goddamn babysitter." steve whined as the engine roared to life and we drove to miss kelley's house.

i pulled up outside her house across the street.

"max, you ok going in? i'm happy to go see her myself." i offered.

"why would you see miss kelley?" she asked, unbuckling her seatbelt.

"i've been seeing her for like a year. i don't mind going in."

"ok, we'll discuss that later. for now, i'm good. i'll go." she nodded, getting out and walking up to the house.

she knocked, the door opened, she went inside.

"what now?" dustin asked.

"we wait." i answered.

"so are we gonna talk about your thing for nancy or?" he said after a moment of silence, glaring at steve.

"no we are not, we are going to shut up about him boning my sister please and thank you." i said, looking at him in the rear-view.

"i'm not 'boning' nancy, and i'm not sleeping with you anymore either." steve whined.

"wait what?" dustin asked.

"now you've done it." i sighed.

"you two?" dustin nearly yelled.

"it was just casual sex, there was no feelings there." i explained, glaring at steve.

"casual? how long did you guys-"

"three months." steve cut him off.

"3 months and you didn't tell me?" he whined.

"she asked me not to, besides she's in a happy relationship with munson now so-"

"eddie? YOU'RE SLEEPING WITH EDDIE NOW?" dustin yelled.

"shush! keep your voice down. we're happy, nothing is official, we've only slept together once aside from a quick one time thing in the woods a while ago."

"what?" dustin and steve both yelled.

"long story, don't ask for details. all i'm saying is i was pulling splinters out of my knees for weeks."

"gross!" dustin whined.

"here she comes, shush." steve interrupted, max got into the car and showed us keys.

"we need to get into the school." max announced, handing them to steve.