(29)

i got through and just started running after winnie.

i saw a familiar looking black haired body on the ground and started sprinting.

i kneeled beside her and put my hand over her face to see if she was breathing.

she was, but barely.

she was bleeding from the face, arms, legs, chest, stomach...it wasn't good and i knew it.

i wrapped my arms around her and pulled up, running back to the gate in my caravan.

"winnie, winnie come on wake up." i silently pleaded, getting inside and thinking.

"dustin quickly, get more sheets!" i yelled up to him, holding her near lifeless body tightly to my chest.

i should have gone after her.

she should have gone first.

dustin returned with a fitted sheet and two normal sheets tied to the ends.

he threw the fitted end through and i put winnie down in it.

"i'm gonna climb through and pull her with me." i called, shaking my head.

i jumped and stepped above her on the sheet, climbing through the gate and pulling her through with me.

her body fell once more to the floor.

"winnie, winnie come on wake up, wake up, wake up!" i pleaded, unwrapping her from the fabric cocoon.

"do you have a lighter?" dustin asked, running and grabbing a spoon from the kitchen.

"what are you-"

"heat up the spoon, cauterize the wounds. do you have a lighter?" he repeated, cutting me off.

i fumbled and pulled one out of my pockets.

i held her tightly to my chest, watching him heat the spoon and press it to her face.

it hissed softly as it stopped the bleeding, he continued, cauterizing the major wounds on her body.

tears rolled down my face gently and fell onto hers, splashing softly on her skin.

"come on winnie." i pleaded quietly, my voice no louder than a whisper.

her chest began to rise and fall deeper, she was breathing better.

"we need to get her out of here, she needs a hospital." dustin said, finishing cauterising her wounds.

"we can't, we're both wanted." i shook my head, adjusting her position and holding her face closer to mine.

"Eddie, she's dying. we need to get her to a hospital. we can get you a lawyer and get you out of all this but if we don't act fast, winnie will die." he said, looking up at me.

i thought.

i'd rather get life in prison than live a life without her.