(25)

eddie grabbed his stuff and we started walking.

it was dark out when we reached the lake.

"there's a gate here?" max asked.

"down the bottom, only one way to find out." i nodded,

eddie, robin, nancy and i all got in when eddie pushed dustin off.

"this thing is falling apart."

"it's my theory." he whined.

"and you're a kid, here." i handed him eddie's bag and steve pushed us off.

we paddled into the middle of the lake where patrick had...snapped as i'll put it.

nancy was holding the compass when suddenly it started spinning.

"woah, woah woah woah slow down."

"it's right here." i said, looking down into the water.

steve started taking his shoe off.

"what are you doing?" nancy asked.

"somebody's gotta go check this out, and unless one of you can top being on the hawkins swim team, it's gotta be me."

"i was a lifeguard, competitive swimmer and the captain of that swim team." i glared at him.

he went quiet.

"still, i'm going."

"i'm coming with you then."

"winnie no."

"shush eddie." and suddenly steve was shirtless.

eddie wrapped a torch in plastic and i sighed. i was already missing my clothes, sitting in an oversized fluorescent shirt and my underwear.

i stripped of the shirt and shivered as the cold air hit my body, moonlight shimmering on my pale skin.

i was just as white as mike was, if not paler.

"please be careful." eddie said, pulling me down into a gentle kiss.

"i got it." i nodded as steve dove.

i took a deep breath and then followed.

i swam, and swam, and swam.

i heard something ominous and turned to see a big red hole in the ground.

we had been under almost a minute.

i swam to the surface.

"it's only small." i huffed and puffed.

"but it's big enough to climb through." i nodded.

something started to drag steve under and i dove after him in a panic.

it had pulled him into the upside down.

"steve!" i screamed, swimming deeper.

i popped out of the other side and saw steve being dragged into a pile of thick vines.

bats started to swarm at us.

"steve!" i screamed, running after him.

i grabbed a paddle from a nearby boat and smacked the bat off of steve, watching it go flying as i followed with the next few who tried to bite him.

"what are these things?" robin suddenly appeared behind us with nancy.

"bats, demogorgons, demogorgon bats...demobats." i rambled.

nancy rushed to steve and eddie ran to me, checking me over for injuries.

"i'm fine, i'm fine!" i insisted as i hugged him for warmth.

robin had started rambling about rabies and more bats started flying toward us.

we ran and hid under the upside down version of skull rock as more and more bats started to swarm.

nancy was over in the corner patching up steve as eddie and i were huddled together.

a familiar ticking sound filled my ears.

"no...no no no no no no no!" i whined, looking around for the clock.

"what?" eddie asked.

"that fucking clock! i can hear it!" i yelled, looking around for it.

"if you're gonna kill me, just fucking do it already you coward!" i yelled into the open air.

"keep your voice down!" nancy lectured.

"come on, do it! fucking kill me you coward! stop taunting me and just finish the job!" i yelled.

"winnie stop!" robin whisper yelled.

"no! come and kill me already, just do it!" i screamed into the empty air.

something squawked from beside me and suddenly a bat was gnawing on my shoulder.

i punched it hard and it fell off before flying away.

a small amount of blood dribbled from the wound as i sighed and walked back to the group.

"you look like you're freezing." robin sighed, putting her jacket over my shoulder.

"we should head to the police station, they'll have guns and crap." steve called.

"we don't have to go all the way downtown for guns...i have guns, in my bedroom." nancy smiled.

they started talking as my ears started ringing.

i couldn't hear anything, but i saw they were walking so i followed, watching every moving thing that was even remotely close to me.