(20)

sirens started to pick up behind me as i closed the door.

"tarp, under the tarp!" steve yelled at me as i got into the boat with eddie.

they went right past us.

"the hell?" steve muttered.

"take my car, go find out what happened." i called to them as i pulled the tarp off the top of the boat.

"already ahead of you!" dustin called, giving steve the keys from his pocket.

"you should go with them. if the police are looking for you and you're not with me, they won't freak out your mom." eddie said.

"i cant leave you."

"go, please. just let them know you're ok."

"i'll be back soon!" i called, running after the group.

"scoot over harrington." i said, opening the drivers side door.

robin crawled into the backseat and steve shuffled into the passenger seat.

footloose by kenny loggins began to play from my tape deck.

i glared at steve.

"you dare taint my beautiful tape deck with this crap?" i asked, raising a brow as i reversed out.

"it's good chase music! what would you play right now instead?" he asked.

"dude beat it, michael jackson!" i answered, following the police cars, ambulances and coroners vehicles.

we pulled up, fred's body mangled on the ground and nancy off to the side, talking to an officer.

we got out of the car and watched as they lifted a sheet over his body.

nancy looked over at us, i waved gently.

"are you winifred wheeler?" an officer asked me, holding a photo beside my face for reference.

i recognized his shoulder pads.

"yes deputy, i am."

"we need to ask you a couple questions." he said, grabbing my arm and dragging me away from my friends.

"hey, loosen up your grip!" i whined, he held me tight and painfully.

"where were you two nights ago?" he asked, pulling a pen and notepad from his pocket.

"i don't have to answer anything without a guardian present."

"i have a warrant that says otherwise." he spat.

i thought for a moment.

"i was at a few places, what time?" i asked.

"just name everywhere in order of visitation."

"i was at school, then we went to pick up my little sister, then at home, then i went to the trailer park to visit a friend, then to the video store i work at, then home."

"trailer park? which friend?" he asked.

"max, i don't know her last name. starts with an H, little ginger over there." i pointed at the car.

"she's quite a bit younger than you, how did you meet?"

"she's a friend of my brothers, i had to drop off some stuff she left at our house."

"right. say, her trailer is just across from that crime scene, isn't it?"

"i wouldn't know, i wasn't there to see a crime scene."

"but i saw your car there, did i not?"

"probably not. i'm not the only person who drives an impala in this town."

"you just have an answer for everything, don't you?" he asked, cocking a brow.

"just answering what i can officer."

"have you had any contact with edward munson in the past 48 hours?" he asked.

"edward? you mean eddie?" i asked.

"that's a nickname of his, yes."

"well yeah, no duh. i saw him on friday at school, i sit with him and his friends."

"and how did you two meet?"

"art class, he sits beside me. then we became friends and now we're dating. i haven't heard from him in the past day or so though, is he ok?"

"he is currently a person of interest in a murder case."

"murder? eddie wouldn't murder someone."

"that's what bundy's family said about him."

"you're insinuating that my boyfriend is comparable to ted bundy?" i questioned.

"he could be. did you know chrissy cunningham?" he asked.

"yeah, she's the head cheerleader. why?"

"did you have any kind of relationship with her?" he asked.

"she didn't particularly like me, but nobody did so that isn't surprising."

"so she didn't like you, and now she's found dead at munson, your boyfriend's trailer?"

"she's dead?" i asked, faking genuine shock.

"her body was found yesterday morning."

"oh my god, oh my god she's dead?" i asked again, crocodile tears welling in my eyes.

"she is, you seem surprised."

"surprised? how else do you expect me to react to someone i've known for years being murdered?" i raised my voice, tears falling from my eyes.

"deputy you need to take a step back." another officer interrupted, pushing him back.

"this must be shocking for you, i'm sorry for your loss." he said, guiding me over to nancy.

"i'll let you two girls be, if you need an escort home we'll be happy to provide." he nodded softly, stepping away.

i shook my hair out of my face and wiped the tears from my eyes.

"what the hell happened?" i asked nancy.

"one second he's at a picnic bench, the next he's dead."

"there isn't any more room in my car unless you sit between steve and i."

"it's fine, i'll get an officer to bring me home."

"stay safe, don't be stupid." i hugged her and walked back over to my car.