(19)

"steve, here are my keys and my wallet. 3 days worth of groceries and drinks. got it?" i said, handing him the keys to my impala.

"and so help you god if she has so much as a scratch when i see her next." i warned, handing him my wallet from my back pocket.

"got it, no scratches, no dents, 3 days of groceries." he nodded.

"be back here early tomorrow morning please. and tell my mom i'm staying with you or some bullshit, call her." i said, fixing his hair.

"i will, don't worry. see you tomorrow winnie" he said, kissing the top of my head gently and getting in the car to take them home.

i sighed and walked inside the boatshed, seeing eddie still on the ground waiting for me.

"hey, it's just us now." i said softly, crouching and sitting down beside him.

"you didn't have to stay, you can go if you want." he said, looking over at me with fear in his eyes.

"no way, no way am i leaving you here alone. you're scared, and i can't bring myself to let you be alone when you're scared." i spoke softly, in my mom tone i often used with holly.

he had a moment of silence before he wrapped his arms around my waist and picked me up, quickly setting me down on his lap facing him.

he snaked his arms around my back, putting his head down on my shoulder.

"i'm sorry." he whimpered.

"why are you sorry, love?"

"you must hate me, or think i'm crazy."

"eddie, i don't think you're crazy. this town...this town has something supernatural going on."

"yeah dustin explained it, the upside down?"

"yeah, exactly. this supernatural shit follows us everywhere we go. my brothers friend, will byers? got taken by the upside down. then he got posessed and killed a bunch of people, then there was murder russians under starcourt mall and now, it's this."

"murder russians?"

i reached around the back of my head and parted my hair, turning my head to show him.

"that scar? i nearly died. pushed off a balcony by the murder russians and left to die. steve found me, he saved me."

"robin was talking about starcourt earlier, about someone named jamie?"

"...yeah?"

"who was he? she said he was important to you."

i took a moment.

"jamie was my best friend."

"we did everything together."

"we met in elementary school, he was in my class every year. the stereotypical little white boy with brown hair and blue eyes."

"one day, i fell and skinned my knee, when everyone laughed, he helped me up."

"we were alone, so we stuck together." i looked up at eddie.