(3)

after our shower and a quick round two, steve brought me back into his room and threw a shirt at me.

considering i was nearly half a foot shorter than him, it would cover my body almost completely.

"here, these should fit. they were my sisters." he said, handing me some pajama shorts.

"how is emily? college treating her ok?" i asked, sliding the shorts on and then the shirt.

"she's good, i think. we haven't heard from her in a while."

i nodded, lifting the shirt to inspect my stomach bruise.

"will you please let me get you some ice? i'm worried about that eye of yours."

"fine, let's get some ice then." i finally agreed, running downstairs.

"wait up!" he yelled after me, following shortly behind.

i giggled as i hopped up on the counter, sitting and watching as he pulled some ice from his freezer and put it in a plastic grocery bag.

"thank you." i smiled softly, reaching my hand out to take the bag.

"no chance, i got it." he smirked, planting a gentle kiss on my lips before putting the bag to my eye.

"what would i do without you harrington?"

"not have amazing sex whenever you want?" he joked.

"that's true, i wouldn't."

"is something on your mind?" he asked, looking down into my eyes.

"nah, i'm fine. why do you ask?"

"you seem like you're off in another world. i didn't hurt you too badly, did i?" he asked, afraid he had injured me.

"no, no you didn't hurt me. i would have safeworded if you did." i said, moving the ice from my face and kissing him.

"then what's on your mind? i can see it in your eyes, something's off." he said, pulling out of the kiss just enough to be able to speak.

"it's just...jason really shook me today. i didn't expect him to beat the crap out of me in the girls bathroom. anywhere else, sure...but the girls bathroom?"

"i'm gonna kill him. if he thinks he can just get away with hurting my friend, he has another thing coming."

"yeah well, you and munson can kill him together." i chuckled, taking the ice into my own hand and holding it to my face.

"you're still talking to that freak?" he questioned, opening the fridge and getting a pitcher of water.

"yeah, we're friends. and he's my dealer so i have to keep a good rep with him or the weed and other shit stops."

"other shit, you're still doing that crap?" he asked, taking a glass from a cabinet.

"not as often, just once every here and there."

"winnie seriously, you shouldn't be doing ketamine and coke this early on, it'll fuck with your brain."

"relax, it's at parties only, once a month max." i shook it off.

he poured us each a glass of water and handed me one.

"forgive me for worrying, i just don't wanna see another person i know die."

"steve i'm not stupid enough to die to drugs, and eddie's guy is good, he doesn't lace shit."

"win, i'm being serious. i don't want you doing that crap anymore."

"well it's not your decision, now is it?"

"i'm sorry, but i care too much about you to let you fuck yourself up."

"i get that, but seriously, i do less than what i used to and way less often. i promise you, i will be more careful."

he sighed and nodded, quickly downing his water.

"i gotta get going soon, it's like 10:30." i said, taking a few sips of my own glass.

"want me to drive you?"

"you're welcome to come, but you're gonna have to get yourself home."

"that's fine, i can walk. my parents won't be back from date night until like 2 in the morning." he smiled, tucking a strand of my hair behind my ear.

"i'll give you your clothes back tomorrow at school?" i asked, sliding off the counter and picking up my bag.

"keep em, i like seeing you wear my shirts."

i nodded, grabbing my keys and walking down to my car, steve following closely behind.

when i got to my car, i heard something yelling from the back seat.

i got in the drivers seat and turned around, seeing mike's walkie-talkie there.

i picked it up and listened.

"Mike, do you copy? Mike it's dustin, do you copy?" dustin's voice repeated over and over again.

"henderson, it's winnie. why aren't you with mike?" i asked, looking up at steve with a worried expression.

"oh, uh- hi winnie! we just went for a walk and got separated." he lied.

"Dustin i can tell when you're lying, you sound like a prepubescent mouse when you lie. what happened?"

"...mike took one of your drug thingies and when we were walking to my house he said we should try it." he admitted.

"he what?" i yelled, looking up at steve even more worried.

"so we did...and he said he had to pee so he went into the trees next to us, and now i can't find him." he finished.

"i'm on my way, where are you?" i asked, starting the car and handing the walkie to steve.

"somewhere along Hawkins road, not too far from Eddie's place. maybe 15 minutes."

"i'm coming, stay put!" i instructed as i sped off.