(24)

eddie and i were on the run.

the police had found my car there and were looking for me once again.

they had officially put eddie's name out, along with mine.

so i was pretty much fucked.

eddie's walkie had been drenched when he fell into the boat so he had stolen one from a construction site nearby and i had tuned it to the same frequency as the original.

"eddie holy shit, are you ok?" the radio creaked.

"nah man, pretty far from ok right now." he sighed.

"where are you? and where's winnie? the police have her as a missing person." dustin questioned.

"fuck, fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck!" i cursed at myself.

i shouldn't have abandoned my car.

i shouldn't have swam after eddie.

but i couldn't lose him again.

i couldn't.

"calm down, we're at skull rock, steve should know where that is." he said, rolling his eyes.

"yeah it's near cornwallis and garrett. we'll be there soon!" steve yelled.

"we'll be there soon, i promise. hold tight." dustin added, the sound of a car door closing in the background following.

"wait, dustin!" i yelled, snatching up the walkie from eddie.

"what's up winnie?"

"where's my car?" i asked.

"uhh, i don't know. i think the police have it."

"shit, shit shit shit the police can't have my car." i panicked.

"why? what's in your car that's so bad?"

"like...a lot of drugs." i inhaled sharply, wishing this was all a dream.

"jesus christ winnie- hang on. steve can you see- what's your car's name again?" he asked.

"baby, she's a black, '67 impala."

"can any of you guys see baby?" he asked.

it went quiet.

"robin found it earlier, it's behind the boatshed."

"the police haven't touched it then. steve i need a favour so huge right now."

"i got it, i'll take baby back to my place and then we'll come up to skull rock."

"no, steve take her home, please. if anything happens to me out here my car needs to be with my family."

"jesus christ you're dramatic, i'll take her home, we'll be at skull in about an hour."

"bye." i turned our radio off.

"you have good taste in cars." eddie looked up at me from his squat on the ground.