Chapter 56

Trigger Warning(s):  Explicit Sexual Scenarios and Explicit Language

(Shannon's POV)

I arrived home early to get ready for an awards ceremony. For a change I was almost looking forward to spending some time with Jay, Brittany and Mom even though it wasn't the type of function I'd ever really enjoyed. Missi had been reluctant about going, but eventually she'd agreed. I climbed the stairs expecting to see her decked out in something nice, but when I opened the bedroom door she was curled up sleeping.

'What the hell, Miss.' I shouted.

'Huh?' She replied.

'The awards ceremony is tonight. Why aren't you ready?!'

'Oh...I guess I forgot.' She replied groggily.

'Get up and get ready!'

'I don't need to go.'

'You're going! You need to get out of the house.'

'For fuck sake!' She said nastily as she flung off the covers.

By the time I'd showered and dressed she was still trying to figure out what to wear.

'I'll meet you downstairs. We need to leave in 20 minutes.' I said angrily.

I turned to look when Missi entered the living room. She was wearing a plain black jacket dress with her hair slicked back into a bun and no makeup. The only jewelry she was wearing were her rings. A simply elegant look wasn't doing her any favors. She looked like she was going to enter a convent instead of attending a social engagement. I was highly annoyed that she hadn't given any forethought to her appearance.

We were silent in the car. She was zoned out as usual. I was ready to give her a piece of my mind but didn't because that was probably what she wanted. If we fought that would give her an excuse not to go.

***

'Hey. You made it.' Jared exclaimed as we made our way across the crowded room to where he was standing beside Mom and Brittany.

I knew he'd caught sight of Missi when his big smile faltered. I shrugged to let him know I had no idea what Missi was thinking when she chose her outfit. I turned to greet Mom and Brittany. They both looked fantastic, and I didn't hesitate to tell them how much as I hugged each of them. When their expressions changed I knew they were taken aback by the sight of Missi. They weren't the only ones who'd given Missi strange, lingering looks. That started happening as soon as we'd arrived. We made our way to our table with the silent ice princess in tow.

Dinner was somewhat awkward with Missi being flatlined, but that didn't keep the rest of us from having a good time. When Jared and I stood up to accept the award we'd won, Missi did manage to smile. It was nothing like the cheers and excitement Mom and Brittany showed though. We'd scored another one for the band and everyone was excited.

We were escorted backstage after our short bask in the sun and Deanne was waiting to present an award. Jared greeted her briefly, but I stopped to talk.

(Jared's POV)

Mom and Brittany were excited when I arrived at the table with the award. Missi showed little emotion. Shannon had told me weeks ago that her doctor was trying different medications and she was seeing a therapist, but nothing seemed to be helping. I hadn't realized how bad the situation was until she showed up looking like she was going to a funeral.

'Oh Jared, I'm so proud of your boys! Where's Shannon?' Mom gushed and beamed.

'Backstage. We ran into Deanne.' I said.