Chapter 2

(Missi's POV)

The last place I wanted to be was lying on an examination table being poked and prodded. I was trying to conjure up an out-of-body experience to counteract my urge to run. I yelped like a wounded animal when the doctor pressed on part of my stomach.

'Sorry Missi.' He said apologetically and helped me sit up. 'The medication you're taking should be helping your ulcer—not making it worse—so let's try to determine if something else is causing your symptoms. I'll start with a few basic tests that can be done at the lab across the hall. The results come back fairly quickly and if nothing abnormal shows up in this round then we'll set up another appointment to do some other tests. I just sent the lab a request, so they'll be expecting you. Come back when you're done, and we'll take a look at the results.' He said and closed his laptop.

After having tubes of blood taken, I was given the standard plastic jar and antiseptic wipes. I was bitching under my breath as a nurse ushered me to the lavatory. A urine sample was never an enjoyable event. I always felt the need for a third hand to pull off the maneuver without things going awry. I didn't have good aim and resented the fact that women were even expected to accomplish this without the assistance of a divining rod, a penis for example. When I was done, I relinquished my prize specimen to the nurse that was happily awaiting its arrival.

There wasn't a place where Chelsea and I could sit together, so we bided our time on opposite sides of the room. We communicated using facial expressions, especially when a few very interesting characters came and went. What felt like hours later we were escorted into the doctor's office.

The doctor appeared with an odd smile on his face. I couldn't imagine why he looked highly entertained. Knowing my luck, they'd probably found some rare but comical condition. His smile never waivered as he sat down and folded his hands on the desk in front of him. I was half expecting him to deliver a state of the union address.

'Well, that didn't take long to determine. I can't really explain how, given the medical report in your file about the damage that occurred to your reproductive organs. That makes what I have to say somewhat of a miracle. Congratulations Melissa, you're pregnant.'

I felt lightheaded as the blood rushed out of my head. I was stupefied—unable to move—let alone speak. Chelsea looked a little taken aback and picked up a magazine and started fanning me. I looked back and forth between Chelsea and the doctor hoping one of them would say 'not' or 'just kidding'. I stuttered out a response in a highly shrill voice and batted Chelsea's hand away.

'Wh...I...ah...that's not possible!'

'I'm sure this is a shock. I'd bet that Shannon will be elated though.' The doctor said.

How in the world could he be Shannon's doctor, yet not realize that Shannon was going to freak to the extent that he'd likely require mouth-to-mouth resuscitation or an elephant tranquilizer?

'Bbb...but I had surgery to prevent this.'

'I can't explain it Missi. It's rare for tubal ligation to fail, so the only thing I can attribute this to is the unfortunate injury I mentioned. The body can repair itself in remarkable ways sometimes. I've seen patients with coronary artery disease grow new blood vessels around heart blockages.'

'Shannon is going to stroke out and I can't say that I'll be far behind him!'

The doctor was typing happily away on his laptop and I sensed that no matter what I said he'd still be oblivious to how badly telling Shannon was going to go.

'Now, now, a lot of people have that response initially. I think once the shock wears off that you and Shannon will come to see this as a miracle too. I'm going to prescribe something different for your ulcer that may help with the nausea as well.'