Chapter 13

"As you all know, the witch Davina is no longer with us." I hear Nik say outside my room. It has been a few days since Davina had passed and I had barely left my room. Niklaus left and went back to Mystic Falls for a day or so. When he got back this morning he called a meeting with the vampires. I get up and open my door to listen in on what's going on downstairs. "Without Davina, we can no longer monitor the activity of our witch neighbors. However, since their Harvest failed, their magic will soon be gone forever. Until then, I say we keep them on their toes." He announces making me roll my eyes. "Diego, I wonder if you might lead a rousting in the cauldron."

   Not caring about whatever Niklaus is up to, I leave my room deciding to search for Hayley. However, I see Marcel go into the study. Since, he is going through the same thing I am, I figure he'll be better company. Following him I step into the study and see him sitting on the couch with his foot on the coffee table. He has a glass of Scotch in his hand as the bottle sits in front of him.

   "Mind if I sit with you?" I ask softly causing him to shrug not looking at me. I sit next to him and rest both my feet on the coffee table.

   "How have you been?" He asks taking a drink.

   "About the same as you." I mutter. "I, unfortunately, can't drink myself numb. No matter how much I want to. Instead, I've been staying in my room and ignoring everyone."

   "Why'd you come out?" He asks taking a drink.

   "Nik is back. I'm sure it won't be long until he does something stupid." I say making him let out a dry chuckle.

   "Ugh, is this what's it's come to?" Nik says walking into the room standing in front of us to address Marcel. "I bear the full weight of our kingdom while you pout like a child."

   "It's called grieving." I tell him defending Marcel.

   "You wanted to be king." Marcel says. "Besides, you look like you got it covered."

   "If the men see you shirk your duties, they're likely to do the same." Niklaus replies making Marcel sit up straighter.

   "I told you, I am not in the mood for vampire hijinks." He declares.

   "No. You'd rather sit wallowing in sorrow for your lost little friend." He snaps.

   "Don't push me right now." Marcel warns standing up.

   "I am sorry Davina is gone, okay?" Nik says frustrated making me look down at my lap. "I'm sorry, but this mournful attitude is unworthy of you, and it's boring to me."

   "I should have stayed in my room." I mutter earning sympathetic looks from both men as I get up and start to head out of the room. However, Diego appears stopping me in my tracks.

   "Hey, guys, we got a problem."

   "Kelsey, stay here." Nik orders me.

   "Actually, I'm coming with you." I tell him defiantly. "I need a distraction."

   "Fine." He rolls his eyes.

___________________________

   As we walk to the location Diego leads us to, he tells us that two vampires are dead. We walk down the gravel path to a white circle with two bodies in the middle. Diego and Nik lead the group as I walk beside Marcel.

   "We came to mess with the witches, just like you said, and these two, they went missing, found them like this--" Diego explains. Veins covered their skin as they lay side by side on their backs. An odd symbol is carved on their forehead between their eyebrows.  "Not even staked, just dead." Marcel turns around and starts walking away.