Chapter 18

Weeks had passed since Rebekah's departure and Nik has been using that ridiculous witch Genevieve as a distraction. I think he is still coming to terms with Rebekah's actions and not having her around. Hayley spends most of her time in the Bayou, she was waiting on the full moon so, she could break the curse on the wolves with the potion Celeste made her. She, finally, broke the curse last night and they are deep in celebration. I haven't seen Marcel since Elijah, childishly, banished him. Cami has been doing all she can to be there for her Uncle, as he suffers from the hex that was placed on him.

I got to see Davina the day after Rebekah left. She explained to me what she went through while she was dead and I held her as she cried. However, as much as I want to be the one that takes all her problems away, we decided her joining the witches would be the best thing for her. They can help and understand her better than I can when it comes to magic and the Ancestors.

Other than visiting Davina, I've been stuck at the Compound. Not much to do but wonder the halls. Elijah makes his way to Nik's room. No doubt to run off the red headed witch. Hoping that something is happening that could temporarily cure my boredom, I follow him. He gives me a look.

"What?" I shrug as he chuckles. "I like being in the know."

"Hmm. Is that what it is?"

"Mostly." He raises his eyebrows and I put my hands up in surrender. "Okay. Okay. It's half-and-half. I like when you run her off." I mutter slightly laughing.

"You and me both." Elijah smirks as we walk into the room that holds the hybrid and the witch.

"My demons are dead or chased off." Nik says to Genevieve, who is draped across the couch in a silky black slip. I fake gage at Elijah as he just continues to smirk at me.

"Yes, apart from the one lingering monster with whom you share a bed." Elijah interjects as they both turn and see that we have joined them. Elijah picks up her shoes and turns his attention to her. "I trust you can find your clothing and the door." I unsuccessfully cover my laugh with a cough earning a sneer from the witch and an amused look from Nik and Elijah.

Genevieve slowly gets up and stares lustfully at Niklaus as she walks around the couch, passed him, and out the door. Nik's face holding a smirk. I scoff in disgust as she exits.

"You do recall that... woman tortured our sister?" Elijah asks rhetorically.

"She also revealed the truth about our sister's treachery." Nik replies.

"She tortured you, also, while doing that." I shrug taking Elijah's side. "So there's that."

"And as consequence, Rebekah is gone forever." Elijah points out.

"A desire which she apparently harbored for quite some time!" Exclaims Nik.

"Actually, from what I've seen she was pretty up front about it, you just refused to listen." I snark at him, causing him to roll his eyes.

"Niklaus, it has been a month." Elijah says. "Now I feel our sister's loss as deeply as you, but you must stop distracting yourself with this ridiculous behavior and channel it into some kind of action."

"Why must I exactly?" Nik inquires as I sit down on the couch.

"Because over the course of Marcel's tenure, the city grew accustom to having a King." Elijah explains. Niklaus walks over to his canvas and picks up a paint brush and starts painting. "You wanted this throne. Now you must accept the responsibility that accompanies that."

"Apologies, but I'm rather ensconced in other pursuits."

"If you can so easily neglect your home, I wonder what will become of your daughter." Elijah pushes as he takes the paint brush from Niklaus mid stroke and puts it away. "Have you forgotten what it was like to live beneath the threat of violence? We must work together, Niklaus. Let's make this city whole again."