Chapter 9

Nik's plan to help the twins is to let them toss him around the Courtyard. I offered to let Bexley use her magic on me, while Hope used hers on Nik, but Nik shot it down. He doesn't think the twins will used their magic on me at their full force. I understand his train of thought, but this is just a small, temporary fix. I'm afraid it won't be enough.

Hope sends Nik flying into a table and it collapses under his weight, breaking in half. I flinch at the impacted, not liking witnessing him getting hurt, even by choice. We've been at this for a while and it's not getting any easier. Bexley had went first, but she's still pretty weak and she needed a break.

Nik grunts and pushes himself up and off the damaged wood. He has blood trailing down his neck. "Do it again." He tells Hope as she hold her head. "Harder this time." She's panting heavily and has her back to him. "All of that pain, that simmering darkness. You need to purge it before it eats you alive."

"Dad..." Hope trails off.

"Give me your anger, Hope!" He instructs.

She swings around, letting out a scream. Hope throws her arm across the front of her body and sends Nik flying through the air and into a pillar. I clinch my eyes shut and turn my head, as he hits the ground with a thud. When, I look back at him he is sitting on the ground, his back against the pillar. He's panting heavily, like Hope, and he has fresh blood running down his forehead.

"It's not working!" Hope exclaims in frustration.

"You're holding back." Nik points out. "You both are."

"You really think we want to feel this way?" Hope yells. "No matter how hard I try to get it out, I don't feel any better and Bexley looks like she's going to pass out." Hope sighs and shakes her head. "You're not the one I want to hurt."

Realization flashes in Nik's eyes and he gets to his feet. I walk closer to Hope with Bexley staying close to my side.

"Give me a name." Nik says in determination.

"For starters..." Bexley mutters, sharing a look with Hope. "I have the perfect person."

_____________________

Nik brings Roman down to the dungeon. His neck is snapped, so he is unconscious. I help Nik chain Roman's wrists to the ceiling. His arms are held above his head, as his body dangles and his feet drag on the ground. I step back for the kids and put my hands on my hips.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" I ask Nik, as he grabs a bucket of water.

"If it helps them, yes." He nods.

"I'm all for that." I agree. "I'm just not sure this kid is the way to do that."

"He's not exactly a kid." Nik points out. "He's older than you."

"I just mean...." I sigh. "He went to school with them. Hope liked him. I know she feels betrayed, but this boy feels to close to home for them. I'm afraid they'll regret it."

"Maybe this will help them with closure." He shrugs.

"Maybe." Nik tosses the water on Roman's head, soaking his hair and the top of his shirt. Nik throws the bucket to the side and it clatters to the floor.

Roman jerks awake as the cold water hits him. He tries to move his arms, making the chains rattle. His breathing becomes shallow as he sees Nik and I standing in front of him. Roman panics a little and starts yanking on the chains, trying to break them.

"Have you decided how you're going to kill him?" Nik asks the twins, not removing his eyes off of Roman. The twins walk into the room, but stay in the shadows. Fear invades the boys eyes, as he turns his head to look at Nik.