Chapter 12

"Elijah." I state. "Drop the stake."

   "Put it down." Nik demands, walking closer.

   "Walk away, Niklaus and Kelsey." Elijah says. "You shouldn't be here for this."

   "Put it down and let's talk." Nik counters.

   "There's nothing left to say." Elijah exclaims. "It's time to end this chapter, get rid of the dark magic once and for all."

   "Uncle Elijah?" Bexley calls, as her and Hope exit the run down house in human form. Elijah turns and looks at them. Their eyes zero in at the stake he has pressed against his chests.

   "What's going on here?" Hope questions, bewildered.

   "Get them out of here." Elijah orders, looking at me and Nik.

   "Why?" I scoff. "So, they don't see you die?"

   "Die?" Hope asks in concern.

   "What are you talking about?" Bexley adds, before she's hit with realization. "They put it into you."

   "But, Dad, you told us that they put it into something safe, and instead, you guys used our first transition to trick us." Hope exclaims. She looks back at Elijah. "So, what happens you just kill yourself and the magic goes away? And you two are going to let him go through with it?"

   "It was suppose to be me!" Nik yell, frustrated.

   "What?" Bexley says, quietly.

   "Why did you try to take my place?!" He glares at me.

   "Mom?" Hope's face falls even more.

   "Because!" I snap. "You can't just keep making life changing decisions without me. You can't keep sacrificing yourself and leaving us to handle the fallout. They deserve to have the chance with you in their lives."

   "Not if the alternative is they lose you!" He bites back.

   "Enough." Elijah says. "They never needed to lose either of you. That's why I did it."

   "But, no one bothered to ask us!" Bexley snaps.

   "Obviously nobody asked anyone, before we all just acted." I point out. I vamp over and snatch the stake from Elijah. "You don't get to sacrifice yourself either." I nod at the girls and they hold up their fists, magically knocking Elijah unconscious.

___________________________

   Nik, Kol, Rebekah, and I are in the dungeon at the Compound. Nik is putting manacles on Elijah's wrists, while he lays on the ground still not awake.

   "Leave it to Elijah to be the martyr." Kol jokes.

   "Well, Nik started spiraling." I cross my arms.

   "I did not." Nik protests. "If you'd had just let me--"

   "Kill yourself." I finish for him, raising my eyebrows. "That will never happen and you know that."

   "This energy feeds on anger, and Elijah is furious with himself at what happened to Hayley." Nik changes the subject.

    "How many times are we going to do this?" Kol scoffs. "Nik acts impulsively, Elijah steps in and saves him. Which, usually puts Elijah in a horrid situation. Then, a trap door appears and he escapes, scratch free."

   "And what if it's different this time?" Rebekah questions. "What if he figures out a way to end it all?"

   "I don't think he would notice or care that I wasn't there to witness it." Kol counters. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going home." Kol turns and walks out of the dungeon.