Chapter 7

Nik and I sit at the table in the dining room. He passes me a glass of blood that he had just drained a blood bag into. He picks up his and takes a drink, then he looks at me.

"Ask." I sigh and he looks at me in confusion. "Ask whatever you've been dying to ask since last night." I clarify.

"Do you want to discuss what you've discovered about your mother?" He inquires.

"There's nothing to discuss." I shrug. "I thought she abandoned me, but she didn't. I have relief in that."

"But..." He pushes.

"But she is dead." I sigh. "She has been a long time and it may suck, but what's done is done. There's nothing I can do to change it. My concerns aren't with the past, they're with the danger our children are in."

The double doors swing open, and Elijah enters. "Ugh, O-positive." He half gags. "You heathens."

"New rule." Nik states. "No blood shed in the house where our daughters sleep and play. Perhaps I'll go out for dinner." Nik goes to stand, but Elijah stops him.

"Oh, no, no, no, no." He exclaims. "We have no way to know who will take Dominic's place as the Hollow's right hand. There could be any number of disciples out there."

"Yes, yes, yes, all who may have the means to kills us." Nik cuts in stopping him from continuing. "You know, if you hadn't been so hasty to kill him, we'd be dealing with the devil we know."

"Spoken by the devil I know best of all." Elijah taunts, turning to walk out the way he came.

"I take it you have a plan." Nik assumes and Elijah stops.

"Freya will place a barrier spell on the Compound." Elijah explains without turning around. "No one gets in or out."

"Oh, so we're to stay here while our enemies seek to resurrect the monstrosity and let me guess, you won't be confined here." Nik gets up and approaches Elijah as he turns around to face him.

"I have a little errand to run." Elijah confirms Nik's assumption.

"And while you're off cavorting all over town, I'm what?" Nik inquires. "Grounded?"

"Essentially." Elijah confirms. "Why don't you take out your frustration on that filthy jawbone our enemy seems so fascinated by."

"Gladly." Nik smirks and I chuckle. Nik looks at me. "What is so amusing?"

I shrug. "Just having some deja vu from when I was pregnant and you had me on house arrest." I smirk. "Sucks, doesn't it."

"Very funny." He muses. "Now, let's see to this jawbone." He says, walking out of the dining room and I get up, down my drink and follow after him.

___________________

We tried everything we could think of to destroy the jawbone, even a sledge hammer, but nothing worked. So, deciding to take a break and find the girls Nik and I went into a storage room, that is like an attic. Bexley and Hope are sitting in front of a chest with random old items surrounding them. Hope is holding a book and reading the contents out loud.

"And when you heart begins to bleed, you're dead, and dead and dead indeed."

"Not exactly the most uplifting reading material." Nik states, making them jump a little.

"Where did you find that?" I inquire.

"Hope found it in the trunk." Bexley answers, pointing at the chest in front of them.