Chapter 2

Elijah woke me up with a message saying he found Jackson and that they were headed to the Compound to question KIaus. So, even though I'm exhausted I pulled myself out of bed. Klaus and Jackson are clearly not on good terms and if Klaus kills Jackson, Hayley will lose it when we find her.

   I enter Klaus' study to find Elijah and Jackson already confronting him. And even though, I'm still pretty upset with Jackson and Hayley for taking my choice away, I'm glad to see him standing in front of me alive.

   "I just left the bodies of people I care about to rot in the woods because you left them defenseless against poachers sent by Kingmaker Land Development. That ring a bell?" Jackson seethes.

   "Should it?" I inquire announcing my presence. The three men glance at me, before Jackson continues.

   "Yeah. The CEO is Lucien Castle. Elijah tells me that you two go way back." Jackson indirectly points blame.

   "So I will ask you once again." Elijah says walking closer to Klaus. "What do you know?"

   I cross my arms and wait expectantly for him to answer.

   "As it happens, I just came back from a romp with our good friend Lucien." Klaus admits. "You can find him in the penthouse of the gaudy new construction on Canal. And while you two are catching up, be sure to ask him about the prophetic vision he showed me of our family's spectacular downfall. You could use a good laugh."

   "Stay here." Elijah orders looking and Jackson and I. "Niklaus and I will deal with this." Jackson goes to refuse, but Klaus cuts him off.

   "Actually, as long as Hayley's prowling about on two legs and unaccounted for, I am staying with Kelsey and my daughters. And should I discover that this is yet another cockeyed scheme for Hayley and you to persuade Kelsey to leave again, the paltry remains of your beloved wolf pack will be sniffing your entrails come morning." Klaus threatens Jackson.

   Jackson scrunches his eyebrows in confusion. "You think we convinced Kelsey to leave?" Klaus' face falls in misunderstanding. I can see the wheels turning in his head.

   "That's enough." I interject. "All of you. We have more important things to worry about."

   "This doesn't frighten you, brother? That one day, your daughters will know exactly what kind of man their father really is?" Elijah jabs making me roll my eyes. "If anything should happen to Hayley, you mark me words, no one will have to take Kelsey and the twins from you. They will, without question, leave you of their own accord."

   Usually I'd defend him, but that is no longer something I want to try to do. All it'll do is pull me right back under his spell. And I can't let that happen. Elijah and Jackson both leave and I stare at the back of Klaus' head for a moment, before following their lead.

___________________________

   About an hour later I heard Freya enter the Compound with a stranger. I step out of my room, leaving the twins asleep on the pallet we made on the floor and look over the balcony to greet her. However, I'm met with her and the stranger sucking face. Shaking my head in amusement I'm about to step back, when Klaus appears right next to them.

   "Freya!" He exclaims with a smirk, breaking them apart. "It is about time you brought a gentlemen home to meet the family. I'm Freya's brother. And you are?" He inquires rhetorically. "No, don't tell me. Let me guess." He then circles them, walking to the other side where I have a clear view of his face. "Brad? Chad? Brody? Let's go with Brody." I bit my tongue to hold the laugh that is bubbling in my chest. "What are your intentions for my sister? Shall we discuss a dowry?" He flashes his hybrid face.