Chapter 11

I'm sitting on the couch reading a random book in the study, as the twins play next to me and Elijah shifts through some papers on the desk. Nik enters the room at a fast pace making me glancing up for a second.

"Where the bloody hell is she?" He asks.

"I assume we are talking about Camille." Elijah states. "Just refresh my memory, Niklaus. Was I the one who impulsively handed her a daylight ring? No, that's right. It was you."

"Kelsey was the one, actually, who asked Davina to make one." Nik says smirking.

"Actually, I was asked to do so by you and I never thought you'd give it to her this early." I raise my eyebrows at him. "So, don't bring me into this."

"She left, didn't she?"

"Shocking turn of events? Yes." Elijah replies sarcastically. "So why don't you go and find her? I shall deal with the growing nightmare of our family's potential extinction."

"Yes, always the diligent defender, despite the fact the threat has somewhat subdued, what with Tristan De Martel now literally sleeping with the fishes." Nik responds.

"But, no doubt Aya has taken over The Strix. Not to mention, you're bitchy ex is still galivanting around town with Lucian, who gives me a 'don't underestimate me' vibe." I roll my eyes. "Just because Tristan is gone doesn't mean we should relax."

"A darker threat remains." Elijah agrees. "Now if something out there is capable of killing us, we should probably find it."

"I'd love to." Nik says. "However, I got Camille into this mess."

"She left around sunrise." Hayley tells us as she comes in the room and sits next to me. "My guess is she needed some air? I couldn't sleep. I saw her leave from my balcony. So, um I was wondering if maybe it was okay if I stay here for a few days?"

"Of course, you may." Elijah nods in agreement. Then, his phone vibrates and he looks down at it. "Forgive me." He excuses himself from the room.

"Hayley, this family comes with many, many hardships but there is at least one benefit." Nik approaches us. "You will always have a home here." I softly smile at him as he looks at me. "Are you coming with me?"

"I can't." I nod at the twins.

"Go." Hayley nods at me. "I'll watch them."

"Hayley, really, you don't have to."

"No, I want to." She reassures. "They provide a much welcome distraction."

"Okay." I tell her hesitantly. "Just call me if you need anything." She nods and turns to the twins, picking up Bexley's blanket and passing it to her.

_________________________

Live upbeat rock music pours out of Rousseau's. There's a crowd of people day drinking and one bartender behind the counter. Cami had just walked in and greeted her co-worker. Nik and I keep our distance, watching in case we need to intervene. However, a tall guy in his mid-twenties grabbed the bartenders attention.

"Hey, four tequila shots, stat." He orders confidently. "And don't be afraid to move that sweet ass." I scoff in disgust at his behavior.

"Real nice." Cami defends the girl as she walks away to get the obnoxious guy his drinks. "She works hard, you know."

"Oh, yeah?" He smiles as he checks her out. "How about you, gorgeous? You work hard, too?"

"Sure." She smile flirtatiously as steps right up to him. "As a matter of fact, right now..." She slides her hands up and around his shoulders, reaching so she can put her mouth close to his ear. "It's hard work resisting the urge to rip your throat out with my teeth." She chuckles and pulls away slightly to look him in the eyes and begins to compel him. "You're gonna find an ATM, and you're going to max out your daily limit, and leave that nice, underpaid bartender the biggest tip she's ever seen. Then you're gonna meet me in the alley out back so we can have some real fun." I raise my eyebrows in surprise, as Nik orders her two drinks. "And turn your hat around. You're an adult." She finishes and I have to cover a snort of amusement.