Chapter 5

"I'm not letting you do this alone." I say taking her hand. Sophie puts a dagger in fire to heat it up and then she steps onto the concrete. She stands in front of Davina as I squeeze her hand.

"Do you believe in the Harvest?" Sophie asks Davina.

"I believe." Davina nods. Sophie puts the dagger to Davina's throat and cuts it open causing Davina to fall back as Marcel and I catch her. I hold back a sob threatening to escape my throat. 

"I love you, Davina. Okay?" I tell her as she takes her last breathes before her head lolls over to the side and her eyes close. As soon as she dies the rain immediately stops. Davina's skin lights up and travels down into the Earth.

Marcel lays her in between the other girls. He goes to stand off to the side. However, I don't move. I go to my knees and position myself right above her head.

"After the Harvest comes the reaping." Sophie announces. "Their sacrifices made and accepted, we call upon our elders to resurrect the chosen ones." All of our attention goes to the four girls. None of them makes any movement. My eye dart to Sophie and her eyebrows scrunch together. "We call upon our elders to resurrect your chosen ones." She tries again. "Resurrect your chosen ones." She demands as tears began to fall from my eyes again. "Please, I beg."

"No, no, no." I plead moving closer to Davina. Sophie starts sobbing as she hits the ground. "Please, Davina. Please wake up." I say, but she doesn't. She stays still, her skin becoming colder from the rain and the lank of circulation.

**

"The earthquake last night. It was the Ancestors; they overpowered the dagger and woke me up." He struggles to explain. "I didn't know where I was or what I was doing until it was too late."

"What did you do, Kol?" I demand. I scan my eyes down his shirt and over all the blood dried on it. "No!" I shake my head in denial. "Did you-- Did you ki-ll my sister?" I choke out with squinted eyes and my vision blurry with tears. Kol looks down at me with an enormous amount of regret and heartbreak.

"Kelsey?" Nik says softly behind me and puts his hand on my shoulder, but I shrug it off.

"NO!" I snap. "Is my sister dead?" I ask Kol again. He opens his mouth to answer but can't find the words. I shove him back a bit. "Is she?" No answer, so I ball up my fists and hit his chest. "Where is she? Where's Davina?" I sob as I pound on his chest. He makes no move to stop me and I know deep down this isn't his fault, but right now I don't care.

I just continue to lose it and hit him over and over. Nik, finally, wraps his arms around me and pulls me away. I try to push him off, but I can't. So, I give up and collapse into his arms and allow my body to once again be overcome with crying. Nik holds me close, until my loud sobs grow softer, and no one says anything.

**

"Klaus." Freya calls out, stopping us from walking to the car. "There's something you need to know. You too, Kelsey."

"What?" I ask.

"We didn't have time to find another way to get the power we need to turn Lucien back." Freya explains with a look of sorrow.

"Are you saying what I think you're saying." I state, fear raising in me. "Even after Nik told you to find another way. You banished Davina to torment."

"Lucien could bite my brothers and kill them." Freya defends, tears lacking out of her eyes. "We had to do something."

"So, you sacrificed MY sister!" I yell. "I stand by you guys every time and the first time I need you to help my family you throw her away. She's a child!"