Chapter 5

Once Mikael is placed in the car Niklaus follows me to the cabin where Davina is still unconscious. I immediately go to her side as Cami wipes her forehead with a wet cloth. The guy Davina has befriended, also, sits next to her. Niklaus stands in the doorway unable to cross the thresh hold, stake gripped in his hand.

   "We should get her to the hospital." Cami suggests.

   "Oh, hello darling." The guy says to Nik as soon as he notices him by the door. "Back to huff and puff and blow the house down?"

   "I'm convinced he has a death wish." I mutter to Cami as I push Davina's hair out of her face.

   "You know, it's funny how often a person's sharp tongue can end up cutting their own throat." Nik vaguely threatens.

   "Klaus, he's just a kid." Cami says. "Give him a break."

   "Yeah. She's right." The guy replies. "You might want to try a bit of lavender under your pillow. Does wonders for stuck-up pillocks with anger issues."

   "Hey, new guy." I snap. "Our help to keep him from gutting you only goes so far, so, shut up."

   "I promised not to kill Davina." Nik says. "I said nothing of this insolent sod."

   "Part of the reason Mikael is alive is because you killed the last boy who caught my sister's attention." I tell him standing. "Let's not repeat the same cycle. Come on." I gesture for him to follow me out of the cabin, leaving Cami with Davina.

   "You had the chance to kill your father with this stake and you choose not to. You aren't going to use it on the kid either." I add.

   "Fine." He sighs.

   "Thank you."

   Nik passes me the stake. "You and Cami go get the car. Let's take her to the hospital." I lightly smile at him.

   "Cami." I call for her. "Let's get the car." She nods and stands walking over to me.

   "I'm sorry for pushing you away." I apologize as we make it off the porch of the cabin.

   "It's okay." She replies. "I understand."

   "Doesn't make it right." I sigh. "I just couldn't handle the thought of losing someone else in this life, especially if they don't have to be involved."

   "I'm involved. Human or not."

   "I realize that now." I tell her. "And thank you for standing up for Davina."

   "You never have to thank me for that. I care about her, too."

   We approach the car and I open the driver's door, before a sharp pain radiates in my neck, and everything goes black.

____________________

   I groan when I feel my cheek being lightly, but repeatedly patted. My body is on fire and my brain is foggy. My vision comes into focus, and I see a panicked Cami leaning over me. Her eyebrows scrunched in concern. I groan again pulling my hand up to my forehand, the pounding getting more intense.

   "What happened?" I croak.

   "Mikael." Cami tells me, helping me sit up. "He pulled Papa Tunde's blade out of his chest. He took us. He wants to use us as leverage to distract Klaus, so he can kill him."

   "His parents, I swear." I groan again. "Where are we?" I register the music coming from somewhere.

   "He's been dragging us through the woods. But he's weak and needed to feed on a deer. We, unfortunately, came across a bonfire party." She cringes. "He is now compelling them to slow Klaus down."