Chapter 16

Elijah still hasn't removed Tunde's blade from Nik's chest. He is laying in his room on his bed in agonizing pain. I'm conflicted about the situation. I don't think it's right to make him go through that. However, if Elijah takes the blade out, Niklaus will just hunt Rebekah and Marcel down.

   Hayley thinks she's close to being able to break the curse on the Crescents. I had told her that I'd help her, but Elijah has me busy babysitting. He has, also, called Cami to help me. Nik is laying shirtless with a partially healed red incision down the middle of his mid-section and red veins branching out from it. Sweat layers his skin due to the pain.

    I sit next to him waiting on Cami to arrive. He's been unconscious since before we left the Sanitarium. It's hard to just sit by and watch knowing he's in an unimaginable amount of pain. Which is probably why Elijah called in Cami as back up. The door opens and Elijah and Cami walk in. Elijah is in the middle of explaining our situation.

   "The dagger the witch gave me is inside of him?" She asks.

   "And every second it remains causes Niklaus untold suffering." Elijah says making me grimace.

   "Who stabbed him?" Cami inquires.

   "Elijah did." I mutter loud enough for both of them to hear me.

   "And now I intend to remove it." He adds rolling up his sleeves.

   "Finally." I breath out in relief.

   "You might want to take a step back." Elijah suggests to us. I jump up from my spot beside Niklaus and join Cami at the foot of his bed.

   "Why am I here?" She asks as Elijah moves a bowl of water and a hand towel on the bed.

   "Because of all the people that could be here, you both are probably the only one's he wouldn't immediately slaughter." Elijah answers focusing on his task. Cami looks at me in disbelief and I just shrug.

   Elijah takes a scalpel and starts cutting along the incision. Niklaus take a few deep breathes in his unconscious state. Elijah puts the knife down.

   "Also, he speaks of you with what is a rare degree for him, at least, of respected." Elijah adds as he plunges his hand into Nik's chest making me look at the ground in slight disgust. "I can see you challenge him to see himself and others in a new light. Kelsey does the same." He grunts as he yanks out the blade. Niklaus lets out a pained scream without opening his eyes. "A wonderful skill I shall be counting on very shortly. You see, Niklaus will be weak as he recovers." Elijah starts to clean up the bloody mess. "So watch over him and feed him if you would but slowly, please, and from your wrist."

   "Don't you guys have bags of blood in storage?" She inquires horrified by what she just witnessed.

   "We do, but your blood is laced with vervain. So it will burn him. He'll ingest it slower. Perhaps you guys could use the time constructively, persuade him not to murder his baby sister." Elijah explains. He turns his attention to his brother, who has opened his eyes but hasn't moved or spoken a word. "Niklaus. It was not my desire to bring you pain, but I will not see you hurt Rebekah. Now, I fear Sabine may be making a final move against us. I intend to find her and to end this."

   "Elijah." Nik croaks out slowly turning his head. "You will pay for this." Elijah then leaves Cami and I alone with Niklaus. 

   "This family is exhausting." I tell Cami and she nods in agreement sitting on the bed next to Nik. 

   "Wow, things I never thought I'd be doing... Feeding a vampire." Cami says.

   "I would." I tell her. "But, I'm not sure what vervain would do to the baby." I explain apologetically while rubbing my belly.