Chapter 5

"So, my first-sired wants to kill you, yours wants to kill me." Klaus tells Elijah as they enter the Courtyard. They both had been out this morning, doing whatever they do. I was reading in the Courtyard as the twins played in their Pak-n-Play in my room. "It makes you regret turning any vampires in the first place."

   "Well, the division of labor seems crystal clear." Elijah comments. "Two of them, two of us." They stop short at the dead girl laying in a pile of weeds.

   "Special delivery, I guess." I shrug, putting my book down and walking up to them. "She was like this when I got up."

   Klaus quickly walks up to the girl, looking alarmed. He squats down and grabs the letter from her hand. He scans over it and then stands and passes it back to Elijah.

   "Roses are red, lavender is blue. Come find me before I find you." Elijah reads aloud.

   "Who has a secret admirer?" I question with raised eyebrows.

   "I remember her a better poet." Klaus says as Elijah gives him the letter. Elijah kneels down to examine the dead girl.

   "Oh, I wouldn't say that this is lacking in poetry." Elijah tells him.

   "It's morbid." I deadpan as I watch them. "Do you guys know who did this?"

   "She wants us to find her. So, let's." Klaus drops the note by Elijah, while ignoring me.

   "Are you so eager, Niklaus?" Elijah inquires. "Last time you even said her name was 1,000 years ago, when you told me never to speak it again in your presence."

   "Who's name?" I try again as my stomach drops.

   "So, I'm to wait as she leaves her little calling cards all over my home?" He asks rhetorically.

   "There's something you should know. When Mother seized control of my mind unleashing those monstrosities that lurk behind the Red Door, I saw something." Elijah then stands up. "Aurora was there."

   "If you mean to confess a thousand-year-old secret that will divide us after our hard-won reconciliation the te absolvo, brother." Klaus says. "There is nothing you could have done involving her that would be worse than what she did to me."

   "Please do not dismiss this--"

   "Whatever it is, it can wait." Klaus cuts him off. "We have a plate of here-and-now problems, and I mean to clear it. If it makes you feel any better, we can kill Aurora together. Then neither of us need play her little mind games ever again."

   "Who the hell is Aurora?!" I exclaim as he walks out of the Compound. Elijah goes to leave the Courtyard to follow Klaus, but I vamp speed and cut him off. I cross my arms and look at him expectantly.

   He sighs. "Aurora is Tristan's sister. Niklaus loved her deeply." My arms drop to my sides, and I step back. "Listen, there's no need to be worried. She doesn't hold a candle to you."

  "Yeah, well him and I aren't on the best terms right now." I say. "And he just ran out of here to find her."

   "It doesn't matter." Elijah reassures. "His love for you is far deeper and more intense than anything I've seen from him."

   "If you say so." I reply dejectedly. He then walks around me and exits the Compound.

________________________

  I am standing in front of Davina with Hayley and Jackson. We are in a mausoleum, while Davina is surrounded by three witches getting her ready for whatever happens on Axeman day in New Orleans. Davina is looking at some scarf things that she has to tie around her neck.