Chapter 11

"Did you find anything?" I ask Davina. She called me to the bell tower, where her and Freya have spent the last week looking for any way to help the twins.

"We're out of options." She sighs defeated.

"No." I shake my head in denial. "There has to be something."

"Kelsey, I love you and I love my nieces." She tells me. "So, I'm going to be blunt. There isn't a miracle fix here. I really wish there was. They might have had a little more time, but they are both about to experience their first full moon since triggering they're curse. We've talked to a dozen witches and they're sure they won't survive the night."

"What about a binding spell?" I urge.

"It's too powerful." Davina shakes her head. "It'd only kill them faster. I'm afraid this is terminal. You can't keep this from them any longer. So they can say goodbye."

I turn my back to her as tear escape my eyes. Davina steps to me and puts her hand on my shoulder, which makes me let on a shakey breath. I turn back to her and wrap my arms around her as sobs take over. My sister tightens her arms around my back and lets me cry, not saying anything. She knows there's nothing she could say to make this better.

________________________

I pass Marcel as I enter and he exits the Compound. He sends me a sad smile and I nod sadly at him, before heading up the stairs to the twins room. Elijah is standing next to their door with a solemn look on his face. Clearly, Marcel had broke the news to him, like Davina had to me. Just as I'm about to enter Nik storms out of the room, barely looking at either of us.

"Get in the car." He demands. "The three of us are taking Hope and Bexley on a little trip."

I furrow my eyebrows as Elijah and I follow after him. "Are you out of your mind?" Elijah questions in disbelief.

"They can sleep on the drive." Nik states.

"Surely you heard Marcel." Elijah points out.

"He doesn't know anything!" Nik snaps.

"Nik." I protest. "Where are we going?"

"The twin's school knows how to deal with a werewolf's first transformation." Nik answers, still walking and not sparing us a glance. "They have a facility."

"Mystic Falls?" Elijah inquires. "I take it you have a plan."

Nik finally turns and looks at us. "I do and while I execute it, I need you two to look after them, to- to make sure they don't exert themselves."

"Wouldn't it be better for you to find someone Hope and Bexley despise a little less than me? Perhaps quite literally anyone else they've ever met. Kelsey can handle them on her own." Elijah objects.

"How they feel about you is of no consequence." Nik points out. "I have until the crest of the full moon to save their lives. We've defied the inevitable for a dozen lifetimes. I am not about to surrender to it now. Please, Elijah. You're the only one I trust to help Kelsey."

"Let me help you." I cut in, looking at Nik.

"You are, by keeping them safe and preoccupied." Nik states.

__________________________

Elijah and I stand in the library at the Salvatore Boarding School with Hope and Bexley. The twins are looking at a glass case that holds an old picture from 1864 of Katherine Peirce and an old journal bond in leather.

"The diary of Stefan Salvatore." Elijah states.

"We're not suppose to touch it, but I practically have the whole thing memorized." Hope says with crossed arms and Bexley nods in agreement. "Spoiler Alert: Dad is the villain and you're the evil henchman."