8// Aggregate Castigation

I was with Claudia who was still sad about everything. She has been crying for so long. Whenever she stops crying, she resumes again and continues that way till she's tired.

There was no limit to her tears and she also cried while working although softly. I placed my hand on her shoulder as she refused to eat.

I asked her earlier in the day more than once to eat after I prepared breakfast but she declined and I understood. But now, it's almost noon and yet she has refused to eat. I'm so surprised because the Claudia that I know doesn't joke with food. I'm sincerely not happy about her distaste for everything.

If she continues like this, she might fall sick. Yesterday she skipped lunch because she was afraid and worried about Claudia's whereabouts, so she barely had supper.

I had to beg her to eat and now I don't stand a chance of convincing her because she has sternly refused to eat.

"Claudia!" I said and she turned to me.

"Don't you think you should inform Marise about the crash?"

"What!!" She was surprised by my demand and I was confused as to why she thought otherwise.

As I looked at her, a crease appeared on my forehead.

"I can't do that," she answered.

"And why is that?" I asked.

"I can't face her. I just can't break the news to her. She would be shattered and I can't bear the thought of what would happen If I told her."

I stared at her sad because she had a point but it would be better if Marise got the news of Hannah's death from Claudia.

It would be too heartbreaking if she were here informed through TV channels.

"I'd advise you to tell her as soon as possible. It's something you should have done yesterday. You need to think about how she would feel if she heard it from an outsider or worse through the news."

"I can't," she said again.

"Don't be selfish. You have to tell her or at least speak with her. She would feel that you do not care because you haven't called her since she told you of her fears."

"You're right. I have to check up on her," she replied.

"Good but that's not the only reason why you should. Have you thought of if she already knew and if she's broken right now?"

Claudia picked up her phone and called Marise. After the phone call, she was sad and she rested her head on my shoulder.

"She knew and her voice was breaking," Claudia said and cried.

"I'm sorry. Don't be sad. You have to be strong for Marise because she needs you. You have to be strong for her, if not yourself. If you truly love Hannah you'd hold up your emotions and support her mother."

As I said these words, Claudia felt better and I didn't waste time as I had to snatch this opportunity to make her eat.

"Why not try the dish? You might like it, it might lighten your mood." I admonished.

"Okay, you win. I would try something but just a little," she said and I felt happy.

*****

Charles was explaining things to some reporters in an open space. He was trying his best to console and understand them but it seemed that they didn't give a damn about his views and appeals.

They became very angry and they surrounded him. They started beating him and as a result, he started running.

They pursued him for a long time and when they became tired, they picked up stones and started throwing them at him. With that, he couldn't run properly and eventually, he was cornered at all sides.