27// Hate Upon Hate

Charles's week of rest came to an end and he would have to return to work.

To Maureen, the days came by quickly and time moved like flash. Maureen was happy that Charles was indoors because she had full access to see him.

She was glad that he got away from work and could rest. It didn't matter if it wasn't a month or some months' leave, as long as he had time to clear his head and rest his body,  she was good.

The few days she spent with him were her most treasured moments. Nothing could replace it and she was happy that he enjoyed her company as well as her care.

Maureen served Charles at regular intervals – four times daily and at first, she thought that it was due to the dosage of the drugs or the effect of the drugs making him eat more but soon found out that it was his eating habit.

As a result of attending to him, she saw him severally. She was glad that she had a reason to see him which made her closer to him.

During this period, she learnt a lot about Charles: when he took his nap, his eating habit, his love for chess and much more.

About his eating habit, she noticed that he ate less at a time and needed to eat at regular intervals. This revelation made his mode of food consumption intriguing.

She also found out that he ate according to his appetite. Sometimes, he ate breakfast and wouldn't eat again till nightfall.

At first, when she found out, she was convinced that he was on a diet and was worried that it would make his health deteriorate. Soon, she realised that it was one of his many habits.

She also believed that he was trying to maintain his figure.

Maureen was happy that Charles disobeyed De Gabriel's advice of hospitalisation if not she wouldn't have been able to take care of him.

She would have been worried if he was admitted to the hospital.

Charles woke up early as he was going to work after a long time. He tightened his belt around his waist, picked up his white shirt and fixed the buttons.

He tugged his shirt in his trouser, knotted his slim black tie, adjusted his collar, fixed the cuff links and wore his jacket. He did this by himself since he has fired his lazy butler and was yet to get another.

"Sir, I'm sorry I didn't." Antonia apologised since she didn't arrive sooner to dress him up.

"You're forgiven," he said and walked out of his room.

He descended the stairs gracefully with his briefcase in hand and paused when he saw Maureen in the living room.

"Good morning sir, How are you feeling sir?" she asked and he glared at her coldly.

She looked down and smiled as she realised that he was back to his old strict self.

When he didn't respond, she looked up and spoke again. "sir,  breakfast..."

Before she concluded, he spoke "Send it to my office." he said and walked out.

Maureen was surprised. "His office!"

She didn't know what to do and she stood there till Antonia tapped her.

"What happened?" Antonia asked.

"Sir Charles just told me to bring his food to his office. What? And he's acting strange."
Maureen said and shook her head as she was baffled.

"That's how he is. The longer you stay, you'd understand him better. I know it's strange, you were his babysitter. With time you'd understand him." Antonia said and Maureen smiled.