10// Warmth in Despair

I went to the kitchen to prepare Sir Charles's meal. I tried my best to be as fast as possible. I had forgotten that I hadn't prepared something for him to eat after I persuaded him into accepting my proposal. I rushed and quickly made pasta since I had made roasted chicken earlier.

"I'm sorry if I took long to make your food sir. I wasn't sure if you were coming back today." I apologized after placing the food before him.

That was true because whenever Sir Charles would be late, he would inform the mansion and his food would be prepared immediately. I saw the look on his face when I was coming from the kitchen and it told a lot so, I had to apologize since he doesn't like waiting for people.

Charles didn't say a thing to Maureen since he knew that he always ate his food fresh and hot. That was reason enough for her to have not made his food and besides, she was quick with it.

I went back to the kitchen and took a glass of water with me. When I came back Sir Charles was eating and by the look of it, he enjoyed his meal. I had garnished it finely so, it was an attractive meal to behold.

I learnt how to cook professionally when Sir Charles made me his cook after four months of working as a maid. I can never forget that day because I was so surprised that a newbie like me would be recognized in this mansion with many workers.

I only prepared food for him when Antonia, the cook fell ill and was hospitalized. Originally, the food was meant for me.

I snuck very early in the morning to prepare myself since we were restricted from the kitchen. I had missed my cooking and wanted to eat my favourite badly so I had to make food for myself.

Funny enough, Sir Charles was unusually early and the instant he came to the dining, he asked to be brought food. I wasn't scared because I would feed him my food but because I had cooked without permission. I confessed immediately and since I was the aroma was tempting, he asked it to be dished out for him.

"Bring the food here!" these were his exact words.

"But sir." I stuttered and it was clear that he was serious.

What was I to do? I served him and I was shocked that he liked it not because it was made by me but because it was a casual dish.

Since that day, I started making his meal. I couldn't object when he told me and all I was to told to learn better from Antonia and that's how I started garnishing like a pro.

I was shocked at how fast I learnt it. Maybe it's because food is my thing. At first, I felt bad because I thought I took Antonia's job away but I felt better after she reassured me that she was cool with it.

I couldn't forget that day and it's been eight months since I started making his meal. His decision didn't please my heart when I think of the opportunity it was going to give me.

Originally, I settled for studying anatomy but with this, I have decided to study catering and hotel management when I've saved enough for school. Looking at how Sir Charles ate, I believe that it's not the garnishing that made him eat but something else.

He was particular about the food after he instructed that I prepared his food. He often inquired if I made his meal and now that I think of it, I find it weird.
When I came back from vacation, I was so shocked when Claudia told me that he hadn't been eating at home.

I tried not to think of it but I couldn't and I realized that he did do it because I wasn't around to make his meals. That also explained why he was pleased to see me.

"Sir, " I had dragged his attention from what he was doing and I placed the glass of water before him.

He looked up at me as though I disturbed his special moment. I stood as he looked at me and every part of me was pleased with the glare.