19// He Scared The Hell Out of Her

I stared at sir Charles' unconscious body in fright. My heart was in my throat as anxiety took control of my being. It felt like my heart froze or maybe it did. It froze as I was panicking.

I'm scared and shaky and I took the initiative to check if he is still breathing. With my heart racing, I gasped unsure about what step to take.

I placed my hand over his nose to confirm that he still has life in him. I tried moving as his body weighed on me. Strugglingly, I dragged him but was unable to carry on so, I screamed.

"Matthew!! Please help me." I yelled and when I got no response, I yelled louder.

"Matthew! Matthew!!"

I kept yelling, I didn't give it a pause and it was probably because I felt calmer compared to when I did nothing.

"Matthew!" I yelled as he walked in. I looked up at him and realised that my colleagues rushed in with him.

I watched them place him on the bed and my hands were shaking, my body and in fact, my soul was.
I was in this state due to the shock of never witnessing or experiencing such. No one has ever fainted in my arms.

"You should all leave." Matthew directed at the other maids.

Matthew knew that no one was allowed to stay in sir Charles' room. He could have also sent them because sir Charles need a well-ventilated environment and they were probably sucking the air.

"I'd be back. Maureen, stay here." Matthew said and I became confused as my mind was in tumult.

"Where are you going?" I asked in an unusual tone.

"Relax, he fainted due to fatigue. Don't panic, he's alright. I'd be back." he said and left.

Hullabaloo staked its claim in my mind and due to that, I paced back and forth. Quickly, I reached for the landline in sir Charles' room. I had memorised Dr Gabriel's number since he was sir Charles' special doctor so, I called him.

My mind was accelerating as fear washed over me. I had to do something other than worry and Matthew's statement helped me get calmer.

I spoke the instant Dr Gabriel picked up the call. "You need to come to the mansion immediately. Sir Charles fainted. Please come over, he needs urgent attention."

"Calm down. I'm on my way there," he said and it's obvious that I sounded tensed.

He hung up the call and slowly, I walked to his bed still holding the phone. I couldn't control my emotions and a tear fell from my eyes.

I guess I was scared that my hero got hurt and hence the helplessness that refused to elope from my heart.
He was fast asleep and I spotted beads of sweat surfacing on his forehead. I looked to the door where Matthew walked out since he was yet to come back.

He didn't tell me what or where he was going. I returned my gaze to sir Charles with a sad expression that lingered on my face.

I realised that Dr Gabriel might have been in the hospital and might take a while so, I went into his bathroom. I grabbed a bowl of water along with his fluffy face towel.

I dropped the bowl of water on the nightstand and touched his forehead. As expected he was feverish and his body temperature increased.

I picked up the soggy towel, squeezed it a little and placed it on his head to keep him warm. I did this repeatedly but his fever wasn't reducing so, I decided to warm up his entire body.

I raised him a little bit and then placed a pillow underneath his body. I took off his suit jacket and started unbuckling his shirt.

As I did I breathed heavily. His skin against mine was electrifying and the hair on my skin stood immediately.