20// A Hearty Feeling

I didn't know what to say to Matthew as I was dumbfounded. I looked at him and realised that his suspicion is responsible for his awkward attitude. It explains all the weirdness.

"What are you saying? Are you sick in the head?" I said in surprise. My heart was in my throat as fear washed over me.

"Exactly what you heard. You love Mr Charles and it's very obvious," he said in a whisper.

"I can't believe you're saying this. Where's all this coming from." I muttered staring into his eyes.

I don't understand how he knows this or if he heard it from someone but his revelation is having an impact on me.

"If I'm wrong then why are you being so defensive," he said with a smirk.

"You're out of your mind," I said and shook my head. I have to deny as much as I can so that the idea drains out of his mind.

"Look, I know everything. I'm not an idiot. I can see through you. You can deny it all you want but it doesn't change the fact that what I'm saying is nothing but the truth." He said in confidence. His confidence dashed my zeal to succeed in confusing him.

"How can you think like this? He's my boss for crying out loud and he's old enough to be my big brother. I'm his maid MATTHEW... " I stressed but he was convinced that was in love with sir Charles.

"I've heard of many bosses and employee tales and you can't fool me with your little speech. He's only nine years older than you, it's not a sin. Maureen, I'd say it again, I'm not an idiot." he said and I didn't know how to get the idea off his head.

"You cried and seemed frustrated when he collapsed, you certainly love him. Look, deny it all you want but I know this and I'm never wrong about my suspicions."

"Is that supposed to be proof of my sudden affection for sir Charles?" I questioned wagging my index and middle finger.

"Matthew, you're confused. I was scared and as a result, I couldn't control myself. I have never witnessed such before. Don't read the meaning of that, I'm a very emotional person and I'd feel that way for anyone I know. Stop this. I don't like what you're saying." I continued.

"I'm disappointed that you are lying but it's fine. I can understand that you want to keep your feelings to yourself but mind you, you're treading on a dangerous path. Mr Charles isn't that type of man. Believe me, you love the wrong person and you'd regret harbouring this feeling for him. I'd be downstairs. Check on him when Driving Gabriel leaves." he said and left.

I didn't utter a single word and stared in the direction he went to. I stood in the same spot for a while and different emotions rushed in.

I didn't know if I was to be scared, confused, disappointed or sad that he was aware of my biggest secret. My brain could burst out of my head. It happened so fast, his inquiry and then his hate speech about sir Charles.

Why do everyone Matthew and Claudia say these things about sir Charles? It's not fair, it's clear that it's Matthew who spreads false statements and he's responsible for how my colleagues regard sir Charles.

First, it was Claudia, now the gossip king decided to try his luck with me. If they aren't comfortable with how he speaks to them, it's cool but they shouldn't be saying bad things about him.

I'm aware that sir Charles can lose his patience and get angry. It's possible because he's a human being like everyone.

He isn't meant to be perfect they should understand. I'm disappointed that Matthew, a full-grown man would also think in this manner.

Sir Charles had also been angry with me when I saw him with miss Hailey but that didn't make me turn him into an enemy. With regards to my feelings, I'm not sure if they'd be reciprocated but even if he doesn't, that's not enough reason for Matthew to say that I'd regret loving him.