28// Dejected in Despair

After Charles left the company, he drove at speed as he was angry with the outcome of the press conference. He was insulted and couldn't contain how he was feeling.

With the anger and disappointment he felt, he drove to a 7-star nightclub although it was still daytime. Immediately the bar attendant saw him, he recognized him as he was a reputable fellow in the society so, he set Charles for a VIP lounge.

Without wasting time, Charles picked up a glass and drank. Another glass was poured for him and he drank. He drank and drank and drank himself in a stupor from the frustration of the day.

"Where are you guys now?" Helena asked over the phone.

"We're in Shabes Club and we couldn't follow the boss." A body-built man replied sitting in a black car that was parked outside the nightclub.

"Why?" Helena asked.

"He's in the VIP room and we don't want to annoy him. Also, we can't alert people of his presence, I would go in from time to time."

"Alright, watch him closely." She said and hang up.

"What happened?" Ethan who was worried asked.

"He's safe but he's drinking." she was referring to Charles.

"What?" Ethan said in shock as Charles wasn't an alcoholic.

Charles sat and with his head bent, he took a full glass of whiskey in a gulp. It had been a long since he visited the pub last. It was something he rarely did as it was not in his nature to waste time that can be dedicated to making millions of US dollars.

He hated wasting himself but at this point, this was the only thing that could soothe his wounds. He was heartbroken and couldn't believe the tragedy that knocked on his door. It was just beyond his imagination, not even if he was told beforehand through a prophecy, he wouldn't believe it.

He was fully aware that the name of his company will be dragged into the media and that he has cost good citizens of America their loved ones. He felt bad because he knew how it felt like to lose your most loved person so, he hated himself for putting others in the position he was in 16 years ago.

Ever since he lost Teresa Jackson, his grandmother, he promised that he wasn't going to be like his parents who made him lose her.

16 years ago, Teresa was seriously ill and she refused to go to the hospital unless her son James came to see her. She waited and James didn't come. He was having a vacation with Veronica as a result of their business success.

12 years old Charles called his father and after pestering James who didn't pick up, James switched off his phone. Charles was helpless as he couldn't force Teresa to go to the hospital. If he was as strong as he was now, he would have carried her forcefully.

Veronica Jackson took advantage of James' love for her and turned him against his mother worried that Teresa would reveal her true colours. She would fake tears and insist that his mother hated her and James would pacify and promise to not let Teresa brake them. Charles who his parents abandoned with Teresa, watched his grandmother die slowly as her little fever became critical. Teresa called James again and told him her head hurt a lot.

James bluffed at her statement and told her to go to the doctor because he couldn't travel back over a little headache.

Charles remembered how he sat by Teresa's grave for days crying. Ever since he lost her, he shut himself from the world and hadn't loved or cared for anyone. He didn't even care for Audrey Stone, Alexander Stones's only child who loved him.

He only took control of West Land airlines to fulfil his granny's wish of being successful and owning The Jackson's Group of Companies. Even if James wanted to put Charles off the company, he couldn't as Teresa willed the company to Charles but the sad thing is that Charles wasn't aware as he was only a little boy when she passed it on to him. She didn't see the need to tell him since he was a kid.